Greatest Multiplayer game of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest Multiplayer game of all time?

In a split screen/all on one screen type affair. None of this system link/live nonsense.

My nomination would be bomberman, pretty much any iteration, but specifically Saturn Bomberman with 8 players.

Your faves?

Saturn Bomberman with 10 players if you please is up there and possibly clinches it. Although I think worms 2 comes a very close second. Lemmings also is pretty special although only 2 player. Then we're into things like Guardian Heros and Virtua On. If I come up with an order I'll post it up.

Comment

World Soccer Winning Eleven 7: International would have to be my number one. Awesome with some football-loving mates and a couple of multi-taps.

Runners-up would have to include:
      Saturn BomberMan
      Mario Kart series
      Street Fighter Alpha 2
      Point Blank
      Sensible World of Soccer
      Puzzle Bobble 2 (Time Attack)
      Death Tank Zwei
      Power Stone
      Super Monkey Ball and most of it's mini-games
      Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Comment

Micro machine 2 on the Sega Megadrive with 8 players was also pretty funny. As are almost all of the Micro machines games. Mashed is also quite funny 4 players.

MarioKart 64 gets a vote as well from me, as does Made in Wario GC, GoldenEye & Timesplitters 2.

Comment

I'm going to be boring, and say

Goldeneye
          Mario Kart (personally, I'd go with the 64 version)
          Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
          Capcom vs SNK 2 (simply because it's fun and... simple)
          Settlers II (PC game. Split screen with two mice plugged in! It was awesome.)

Comment

Goldeneye.

Comment

Super Smash Bros Melee - you can be a little bitch and complain it's too random, or you can learn it properly and force your friends aswell and have yourself the sickest multiplayer kickoff possible.

People have absolutely no idea about this game - they see the cute characters and thing it's simple tings, it aint. You have 3 types of evade, different types of blocking, there's parrying, throws, combos - everything you need to make a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                People have absolutely no idea about this game - they see the cute characters and thing it's simple tings, it aint. You have 3 types of evade, different types of blocking, there's parrying, throws, combos - everything you need to make a mess.
                Including ****e controls.

Comment

Dont get me started man - the controls in that game are absolutely spot on, I hate it when people blame games for their own lack of skill, that's extremely poor and I cant be bothered listening to it.

Comment

Nah, Saurian's right about SSBM; should have been in my list too.

It has very different controls to most fighting games, and I concede that they do feel a tad 'woolly' at first.

Comment

Timesplitters 2
                      Mario Party 5
                      Super Monkeyball 2
                      Super Smash Brothers Melee

Comment

Super Smash Bros Melee - you can be a little bitch and complain it's too random, or you can learn it properly and force your friends aswell and have yourself the sickest multiplayer kickoff possible.
                        DEFINATELY one of the finest four player brawlers about. Lots of different polay modes too, can't belive I forogt to put it on the list.

Comment

Dont get me started man - the controls in that game are absolutely spot on, I hate it when people blame games for their own lack of skill, that's extremely poor and I cant be bothered listening to it.
                          Having 'jump' on the 'up' section of an ANALOGUE STICK was a bloody abysmal idea.*
                          That, plus, the way they flip and hop when all you want to do is turn around to pick up something behind you, and you're left with something that's just ****. In my opinion.

*EDIT: Also, it's a sodding double-jump!! On the same sodding stick!! It beggars belief!!

But anyway, back on topic...

Comment

Does anyone use the stick to jump in SSBM?

EDIT: And on topic, got to be SSB (the N64 version), ISS64 and SMK for me as most played multiplayer games.

Out of those I would have to say.. that probably SSB worked best in multiplayer... nothing beats frantic 2v2 matchups.
                            Last edited by rjpageuk; 26-07-2004, 14:03.

Comment

For sheer hours spent playing multi-player, Perfect Dark is my winner.

Other greats are:

ISS series on N64
                              Super Monkey Ball (Original)
                              Tiger Woods
                              Halo
                              Winning Eleven 6 FE (GC)
                              Diddy Kong Racing (Hot Top Volcano)

Comment

Working...
                              X