Back to Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Basics

Recently I've found myself in a back to basics sort of mood when it comes to gaming. I've got very little interest in epic story driven or graphically brilliant games. What I'm looking for, at the minute anyway, boils down to exactly what gaming should be about. Fun.

Stuff the long and enralling story, that get's depressing and dark in the middle. I want fun. I want a game that will make me smile. Sadly, I don't have enough of these games.

What's the reason for this change of heart though? Well, the other day I dropped into CEX in Manchester and spent about half an hour just standing there playing Mario Kart: Double Dash. As I don't own a GameCube (yet) I'd never really played MKD much, but I found it to be great fun. It's simple, fun, and highly playable. I liked it so much, that I decided to give MK on the GBA a go, which I've not been able to put down. Why can't more games be like this? Or are there more games that are just about pick up and play fun that I don't know about?

Has anyone else been through the same sort of thing, and if so can you recommend any games that would fulfill my simple desire to have a good time the next time I pick up my GBA, PS2 or Xbox controller?

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go back and play some more Mario Kart, or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog....I dunno.

For no-frills fun, try Katamari Damashii on PS2.

And then there's any of the Metal Slug games...

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I'm one of those evil PAL only gamers, for the minute anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I've recently found arcadey games like Time Crisis 3 and Amplitude (along with GBA games on my new GBA) which I can pick up and play, more fun than longer story-driven games.
        I also tend to have quick 30-minute or hour bursts of Counter-Strike or TFC these days, too.

Comment

Well, GameCube will be good choice
          Mario Kart DD, Super Smash Bros, Ikaruga, Star Soldier, PC Kid (latest two are only NTSC, but you can grab a Freeloader).

On PS2 I loved Raging Blades (very "basic"), expecially cooperative gameplay.

Comment

Working...
          X