Second Console advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Console advice

Well, my only console out of this generation is a GameCube. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I want to play on it (Resident Evil 4, the new Zelda, Paper Mario 2, etc.) but I get the idea I should get a second console (Burnout 3 is a big deciding factor in this).

Back in the Summer of 2002 (ugh) I had a PAL Xbox that I sold for my American GameCube after only a few months. One reason for this was the fact it was PAL and back then, I don't think chipping was really an option - so I was stuck paying 40-45 pounds for games I wasn't too interested in. Another was the fact that, and don't get angry at me here, but so many of the games just seemed so dull. I'm not comparing them to a lot of Nintendo's far more bright offerings either, something about the games was gray and very washed out.

Now I have a bit of a dilemma... when I'm in New York this November, do I get a PS2 or an Xbox? I've been spoiled by seeing my Gamecube in 480p on my new HDTV and I hear the Xbox has 480p on nearly ALL of its games, and 720p and even 1080i on some others, so it'd take better advantage of this. But, obviously there's no point in that if fewer of the games appeal to me in the first place. I know ideally I could have both consoles, but I'm pretty short on cash and need to choose one to get first.

So, some questions:

Can anyone recommend me a list of PS2 and Xbox must-haves (not including the Grand Theft Auto games, sorry)?

How much does it cost to have an Xbox modded for playing emulators on? The idea of playing Sonic CD on my TV set is pretty tempting.

Does anyone know if the video players for Xbox can play back Windows Media High Definition? I like the idea of being able to use it as a Media Center for 720p output.

Do most PS2 games output 480p Progressive scan signal?

Thanks!

I would get another Xbox as most multi platform games are usually better, whether it be due to slightly better graphics or Live/LAN updates and multi player. Also the custom soundtrack thing is great made GTA3/VC more fun anyway.

As for games you have OutRun2, Halo2, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Dead or Alive 3, House Of The Dead III and Steel Battalion.

Comment

Ah c'mon at ?99 each you could have both surely.

Xbox is best for multi format stuff but PD2 has the edge in terms of software back catalogue....and the duell shock is a better controller then controller S (but neither are a patch on the Cube pad)

Comment

As always, depends on the games you like. More and more franchises that were previously PS2 exclusive are now being released on the XBox, but not much seems going the other way (or if they do, they often end up being ****e like Rainbow Six 3).

Personally I think the GC and XBox are a good match. You have one console that is almost exclusively offline, has a large amount of Japanese and quirky games plus Nintendo's own offerings. The other is the best online console with the best of the Western developed games and big blockbusters (PC notwithstanding).

Both are great party machines (better than the PS2 imo) and both support prog scan much better than the PS2 too. The only reason to get a PS2 imo would be if:

a) You couldn't live without its exclusives like Ico
        b) You absolutely adore one of the genres that the PS2 excels at like shmups or Japanese RPGs. You can get both on either of of the other platforms, but not the sheer volume.

Comment

Thanks for all these opinions, it looks like I'll be going for the 'box after all
          I'll just have to make do with playing Gitaroo Man on my friend's PS2 until I can get one of those too

Comment

Maybe slightly off topic, but if you really love Nintendo, you could do as I did and buy a GBA SP as a second machine. Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Mario and Luigi, Mario VS Donkey Kong...

I eventually got a PS 2, too. Because nowadays used games are so cheap, getting Silent Hill 2 + MGS 2 + two other games for the price of one... That's a bargain. I guess it really depends on your tastes as other said. i'm fond of japanese games, and have a decent PC, so X-Box does not seem so compelling to me. I guess it depends if you'd rather get Halo 2 or MGS 3...

Comment

Toys r us at Union Square is good for gaming. Or J&R.

Its on Broadway right near Ground Zero.
              Last edited by Pavey; 25-09-2004, 19:30.

Comment

its a weird one

my first choice console is a gamecube and that gets the most action

for the 2nd choice it would probably be the xbox, just down to the multi format games and it has some of the best console only games between xbox / ps2 for example halo2 and outrun 2

weird why??? - well normally i wouldnt say xbox but it has grown on me recently and the ps2 is my 3rd rate choice which normally i would say hell no

but some people may mock me for saying the gamecube is my first choice and if you had to include the gba sp in this the xbox would definately be 3rd

Comment

Get a chipped Xbox - it's the best bit of gaming kit I've ever owned. Worth it just for the ability to play the emulators. 4 player Bomberman, Mario Kart, Mame in your living room - you know it makes sense. You're looking at ?100 extra for a chip and a decent sized hard drive.

Another excellent feature is the ability to rip your games to the hard drive - reduces loading times to virtually zero. Broken Sword 3 and KOTOR are virtually unplayable without doing this in my opinion.

Does anyone know if the video players for Xbox can play back Windows Media High Definition? I like the idea of being able to use it as a Media Center for 720p output.
                  Xbox Media Center is the best application for watching media on your chipped xbox - a list of compatibility is here - http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_project.htm

I barely play my Gamecube nowadays except for the Nintendo titles, the Xbox usually has the best multiformat versions and it arguably has the best FPS and driving game on any system.

I wish it had some more quirkies though...

Comment

Good luck getting an xbox back with you.
                    Why do you want to buy them over there anyway?
                    Well, I can understand PS2, I bought mine in NY too.
                    But if you want an Xbox you might as well get a pal one and chip it.

Lately I'm loving on my PS2.
                    Mostly because of SF3 and Gradius V!

Comment

ah but SF3 will be better on Xbox just due to live

Comment

The PS2 has ICO. The Xbox doesn't. That's all there is to it in my view.

Although for the record, I own every major console of this generation, and each has something going for them.

Apart from the GC and Xbox not having ICO of course.

Comment

If I could only have two it would be a cube and an XBox. Cube for the Nintendo exclusives and the XBox for everything else. Particularly now PES is (almost) on the XBox. My PS2 hasn't had a lot of use lately: but that should change when Gradius gets its PAL release. (My PS2 is my only PAL console... that might explain its lack of use though).

Like others the emulators are a huge bonus for me on the XBox. And I'm loving Live too.

Comment

There's one small problem about bringing back a Xbox from the states.
                            You'll probably need to charter a seperate plane to carry its lardy arse back to the UK.

Comment

Working...
                            X