Star Ocean 3 or Gradius V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Ocean 3 or Gradius V?

With all the games coming soon I've basically allocated myself a set amount of money that I will allow myself to spend every month. I've almost reached my limit for October(that is the games coming out in october). I've got enough money to buy either Gradius V(PAL) or Star Ocean(PAL), which one would you guys recommend? I'm a fan of both genres so I reckon I'll like both games. I've never played a Star Ocean game before so I'm wondering if I'm going to like it, as the combat is apparently real time, I'm more used to the turn-based stuff(although I thought the ATB system from FFVII and some other games was decent).

Or should I buy both? I just need to gauge various opinions on both games. Now before you ask I've already looked at reviews for both games and they seem to be pretty much in the same category(good but not great). I suppose this will be the final factor in my decision to buy either of the games.

thanks

Hmmm depends have you played Tales of Symphonia?

SO3 has a very similar battle system although its not quite as good...have to admit I've not played that far into Star Ocean, but it seems a very solid and also quite tough RPG. Have to say I am getting a strong liking for these classic/action rpg cross breeds appearing recently...makes normal levelling battles far less tedious.

As I hate schmups can't really comment on Gradius....however it seems clear from fans of the genre it is an excellent title....whilst Star Ocean I'd say was good rather then great.

Helps?

Comment

GV, is indeed a very good title...

I would read the review and first play topics if I were you.

BTW GV is being released over here of a budget price of ?20 in november sometime if thats any more help to you.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel
        GV, is indeed a very good title...

I would read the review and first play topics if I were you.

BTW GV is being released over here of a budget price of ?20 in november sometime if thats any more help to you.
        Forgot to mention that I've already done that. Been reading through the first play thread of both games on here as well as keeping up with reviews of both games on various sites on the net.

That's one of the pros of getting Gradius V, it's cheaper, so If I don't end up liking it, it won't hurt my wallet as much.

I must admit that I'm definitely intrigued by SO3, I haven't played TOS(waiting for the PAL version). Has anyone on this site done a review of it? Is there one planned? I don't think there's one in the PS2 section.

Comment

On a similar note, how about between ToS and SO3? Heck, why not throw in Shadow Hearts Covenant to the mix...

Comment

join www.gametart.com an rent em both, quids cheaper if u don't like em an u can keep em til ur done. Gonna be very handy for Pro Evo 4 til the Xbox ver comes out

Comment

Originally posted by lostn
              On a similar note, how about between ToS and SO3? Heck, why not throw in Shadow Hearts Covenant to the mix...
              Aside from SO3 none of those games are being released in October(talking PAL here). If you'd read my first post you would have realised why I'm asking this question. I've already set aside a certain amount of money for games coming out in october(as mentioned previously). I've already pre-ordered TOS and might have enough for Shadow Hearts, depending on whether HL2 is released in November or not. That's why

Comment

Don't buy SO3, people playing the PAL version say it has the usual Square effects of big borders and 50Hz only... That's enough to put me off of a game (how ugly and disgusting was Vagrant Story...!?)

Stick with Gradius, or perhaps pick up Skies of Arcadia for your GC, that's proper 50Hz optimised RPG goodness.

Comment

Skies of Arcadia on cube can be had for around ?10-?15 now too. I'm gutted SO3 has crappy 50hz port like the FF games, more reason to get my PS2 chipped. Tho I find the borders nowhere near as offputting if you have a widescreen TV as u can jus streatch em away, the graphics are still squashed at the end of the day tho.

Half Life 2 ain't comin out November, last I heard it's now delayed until Q2 2005.

Comment

Working...
                  X