An underrated gem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An underrated gem

I want to talk about a game I picked up second hand last week. A game my sister and I avidly sat and played all weekend. A game I first chanced upon some years before and after an (admittedly brief) first play, I didn't really get on with too well. It's also a game which actually could have benefitted with a sequel, but never got one.

The game is Konami's Shadow of Memories (or "...Destiny" depending on your version). I was initially intrigued by this title, then the 4/10 it received in Edge after its release put me off (more on that later). However, having played it through (one ending so far), I can safely say I think this is a truly great game.

Admittedly it does have its flaws. Reductively speaking, it could be described as a Shenmue-lite viewed through a Survival Horror lens with a time travel motif tacked on, but (as the cliche goes), that would be missing the point.

Yes, there are little logical inconsistencies, yes there are far too many conveniently 'locked doors' and yes, there is some measure of linearity to be had despite its multiple endings and paths, but it is a truly engrossing game.

The biggest draw for us (my sister and I, that is) was experimenting with it, seeing how we could influence time by our actions. We were also very engrossed in the story, desiring to see it through to its absolute completion (only 3 more endings to go...). The characters are fairly well developed, and you genuinely get to care about some of them.

Its biggest flaw (I found) was its tendency to kill the player unexpectedly. You'd do all you need to do, sit through many lengthy cut scenes only to suddenly drop down dead at the end of it all and be left with no real indication of what just happened. This would result in having to sit through the same lengthy cut scenes again.

All said though, it is a very compelling game and comes highly recommended. Also, Edge's 4/10 seems incredibly harsh and having read through the review, it doesn't even sound like they played it properly (the review had many, many factual inaccuracies and seemed to be picking holes for spite).

So, has anyone else played this? If so, what did you think?
    Last edited by Ady; 29-09-2004, 13:24.

I played and completed it on ps2 and thought it was pretty good in a fairly unique way, it reminds me a lot of monkey island, that sort of thing, thinking stuff out instead of shooting it

Comment

Yeah, I enjoyed it too, and I think it's well worth seeing all the endings. It could perhaps be criticised for a lack of challenge (I don't recall any of the puzzles being that hard), but I'd say it's much more of an 'experience' type of game - you play it as much for the story/characters as for the 'gameplay', and as such it works very well.

If people are looking for something a bit different, it's well worth picking up (you should be able to get it dead cheap by now)

One final point - I loved the pen-and-ink styled bit at the beginning of the intro, just a shame that style wasn't used again

Comment

I played the game on PC last year. I liked the story, even though it had a lot of plot holes (chicken or the egg for instance). But the game was too short. Also, I don't like running against the clock, it just makes you rush and not take time to enjoy the game. And being unable to save the game whenever you want kinda sucks.

The killer's identity was certainly one I didn't expect. Good plot, but for some reason I had no desire to replay the game, and take the other path (telling Margie she's not your ancestor).

The voice acting by the way sucked donkeys balls.

It was a good game, but I kept feeling some rush that if I didn't hurry I'd run out of time. And no one reacted to you vanishing from the spot or appearing out of thin air. Good story telling still, and well worth a rental. I like a game that focusses more on story and cutscnes over gameplay.

The cutscenes can be skipped by the way. But the time that passes still is deducted. It takes a few minutes of time off just for one sentence of dialog.
        Last edited by lostn; 30-09-2004, 07:38.

Comment

I thought Shadow of Memories was incredibly boring slush, and I was made to play it by my m8 who worships it, but I found it dull, dull, dull...

The premise was a little different and intriguing, but not implemented very well.

He also tried to make play thru all 6(?) endings: not a snowball's chance in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by lostn
            The cutscenes can be skipped by the way. But the time that passes still is deducted. It takes a few minutes of time off just for one sentence of dialog.
            The cut scenes can only be skipped if you don't die (as in game over die).

Comment

Seem to remember Half Pint was a fan of this game.

I picked it up cheap on teh Xbox, but haven't even booted it yet.

Comment

My mother loved that game.

No. Seriously. I'm not taking the piss, she really enjoyed playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                  The cut scenes can only be skipped if you don't die (as in game over die).
                  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Before you die, how does the game know you're going to "game over" die?

Either way, I remember being able to skip any and all cutscenes, but this might have been something new to the PC version.

Comment

Working...
                  X