The Good Boxart Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Japanese Parappa box:

I love the Keio Flying Squadron (Mega CD) box a lot too, it's the same image on them all but the US version's irregular box shape cuts the picture up a bit.

Comment

Boxart for SuperMario Strikers

I like it.
      Last edited by Mad Gear; 16-11-2005, 14:32.

Comment

Erm, the best box art hands down is for the N64 version of Denryu Ira Ira Bou.

Here's my pic of it.

Don't let your stick go near those golden boobies

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
          Not bad. Pic seems to suggest the game will be a bit nasty?

Comment

After admiring the cover art for the Nico DVD, I remembered that the cover art for Ico also reminded me of work by a surrealist artist called Giorgio De Chirico.

Compared with:

Does anyone know if Fumito Ueda has spoke of any influence from his art?
            I noticed this a while ago. It's strikingly similar, no?
            Check out more pics on google.
            Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Comment

Speaking of Ico....

This is a really obscure piece of information, but I?m absolutely certain that an old, almost entirely unknown, japanese animated film directed by Gisaburo Sugii (who also happened to direct "Street Fighter: The Animated movie"), more or less gave birth to the entire Ico-concept.

If you like Ico, listen to this.... Otherwise, ignore this speech of mine.

In 1974 "Jack & The Beanstalk" was released. A typical cartoon musical based on an old fairy-tale, the movie nevertheless is a sought after gem, and I had to splash out a great deal of cash to outbid others like me, who just couldn?t get the memory of this haunting movie out of my head.

Being really rare, and with no DVD on the horison, I sadly can't show you any screenshots or anything to prove my point, but It?s a wonderful film honestly, especially if you like the studio Gibhli, Miyazaki-style of anim?.

It wasn?t until I saw this movie last year, that it struck me that besides still being an excellent tale, it surprisingly reminded me so obviously of Ico.

The hero, Jack, is short, dresses in red (despite what the lame cover on IMDB tells you) and has black hair. Upon climbing the mysterious beanstalk, he encounters a seemingly empty castle. There he meets a weird princess, dressed entirely in white and with really short, brown hair (sort of like the anti-Cinderella). The princess acts really weird and hazy, since it turns out that she?s under a spell thrown by a (drumroll) scary, tall and ultra thin witch dressed in black. The Witch rules the castle but wants the young princess to marry her monstrous giant of a son, hence the drug-like spell. Jack being courageous and all, breaks the spell and has to flee the giant - by holding hands through a long sequence where they run down stairs and such. Sounds familiar? I?ll see if I can rip some images from that old tape.
              But I'm certain and if you DO get hold of this film, watch it, It kicks ass. I?ve shown it to several anim?-geeky friends of mine and they were sold completely.
              Last edited by Captain-N; 16-11-2005, 22:31.

Comment

Pocket Fighter!

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
                  I never thought I would ever hear anyone say that. (other than an American). The Resi Evil UK covers may not be the best, but they are far more stylish that the hideous creations that are splattered over the US boxes.

Did you see the US covers for Res Evil 1 Remake and Res Evil Zero? Staggeringly awful, and Res Evil 4 US looks to continue that tradition. Res Evil 2 US gets my vote as one of the worst covers in the past 10 years. Like a 5 year old picked up an airbrush.

For good box art, see ICO EU/JP. For bad box art, see ICO US.
                  I thought the PAL Resi Evil covers looked very plain myself. I would not have picked up the box to even examine it, if I were an ordinary person who hadn't heard of the game before. Don't judge a book by its cover, you say? Well, the reality is, people do it anyway. There's just too many other covers to look at, to pick every one of them up. For me, it has to stand out, or I won't bother touching it.

I like the US covers best. Especially the one where Jill is getting strangled by a zombie.

Comment

I don't THINK this has been posted in this thread already, but I love this:

Comment

Two more recent box's that I thought were quite good.

If only it wasn't for that rubbish fire effect text.

Love the style. That games for the actual game too.
                      Last edited by dragz; 20-11-2005, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by dragz

Is it just me or could the bloke on the Zoo Keeper box be mistaken for Hitler doing a Nazi salute?

Comment

iv always liked this cover couldnt be bothered looking on google so scanned mine in
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thebuddahman
                            Is it just me or could the bloke on the Zoo Keeper box be mistaken for Hitler doing a Nazi salute?
                            OMG you are so right

Comment

The Awesome Boxart Thread

Just as there are terrible examples, there are some beautiful examples too. Mostly from Asia, but here's a few from Japan to kick off with.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Mobile Suit Gundam: One Year War

Armored Core: Formula Front

OZ

Onimusha 3

Gunparade Orchestra

Sorry for all the Play Asia images!

Comment

how come japan got such a nice prince of persia box?

the european ones weren't nearly as nice

Comment

Working...
                                X