This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a slur not a slur?

When gamers refer to something as a Jap unit, Jap Cube, or Jap PSP, is that an ethnic slur?

When I use the term Jap I mean NTSC/J region locked games. The same for US and the same when I use PAL. That didn't stop the politically correct brigade from thinking they needed to slap me on the wrist when I wrote the term Jap in front of the PSP.

Am I being racist?

We had a big debate about this ages ago. Personally I'm the same as you Baroque on the subject, but I just write JPN now. Just as easy and stops any potential trouble or upset

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread...hlight=jap+jpn.

A while back you couldn't even type JAP BTW as the forum filter automatically changed it...

Comment

I hate all this PC stuff...it's gone way over the top these days.

I personally use the term JAP all the time, not because i'm intentionally trying to cause controversy but the simple fact that I don't believe nor am I aware it is offensive to anyone. Merely an abbreviation of 'Japanese' in my eyes.

Comment

I really don't see anything wrong with calling someone from Japan a Jap. IMO it's less offensive than calling an Englishman a Pom or a Limey and I don't see anything wrong with calling an Englishman those. However calling a blackman a wog is wrong

Comment

This has all been done to death in the last thread, this is just repeating whats already been said, so Im gona close this. Have a read of the other thread, if theres still comments, then feel free to reply there.

Comment

Working...
          X