Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Version difference ASIA and JAPAN. And preference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version difference ASIA and JAPAN. And preference.

From NCS' Website:

What's the difference between ASIAN and JAPAN Playstation games?
    Hello, the Asian version of a game is identical to the Japanese territory version of a game with the exception of two things:

1) The Japanese distribution mark is not listed on the back cover of the game.
    2) An English/Chinese language quick-start insert is included inside the game

The ASIAN version contains a Japanese manual and game CD which works fine on a Japanese PS2.
    Being a fan of the Tales series I actually had my PS2 modded last week for ?110 and ordered Tales of Rebirth from Lik-Sang and noticed it had the "Asia" header insted of Japanese. I freaked out thinking that this is gonna be in Chinese! (How naive, huh!?) My Japanese is horrible but I can't read a symbol of Chinese, except the familiar characters I've learned in my Japanese study. Anyway NCS came to the resque with their FAQ. I remembered that my import of FFIX had a Chinese start-up manual in it which made me dissappointed because after 4 years I noticed that my copy of the game is a "fake". Well, it's made in Japan though. I purchased it off express.com ages ago when they had a good import section. As a novelty, I'd rather prefer the original Japanese product intended for a Japanese market. I guess it's more of a collectors item. Or then that's just my own imagination. The Asian version has it's own finesse, of course, however... I've been had. Oh well, I'll live. It's still the same game and I'll get some extra stuff with it; the start-up manuals in Chinese and English. I guess the Asian version is more import friendly.

What do you hardcore import fans have to say about a really fanatical matter like this? Does it bother you one bit? Do some people avoid ordering the Asia-versions altoghether even though the original Jap might be more expensive?

To future potential importers of Tales of Rebirth. NCS and Play-Asia supply both Asia and Jap versions. The Japanese version is slightly more expensive.
    Last edited by danholo; 15-02-2005, 10:55.

On a similar but different note, are asian PSP's different to JAP ones as my mate is off to hong kong in a few weeks and were wondering what problems we would have in picking up a PSP from there

Comment

dont think there is an Asian PSP yet, it'll be a JP one he picks up in Hong Kong

Comment

I have no idea. The PSP is a totally unkown unit to me at the moment. I'll get it after a Tales game is released for it. IIRC Tales of Eternia is being released as a remake for the system. Oh, well I have no money...

Comment

I bought the Korean Version of Damacy because it had a cute umbrella bundled with it and was cheaper even with this than the J-version. I knew I didn't have a hope in hell of understanding either but for that game at least knew it wouldn't matter...

Comment

Originally posted by g-funk
            dont think there is an Asian PSP yet, it'll be a JP one he picks up in Hong Kong
            So if he buys a couple in Hong Kong they will be region 2 JAP versions?

It all depends on price and availability of course but it seems like a good idea.

Comment

Does it bother you one bit? Do some people avoid ordering the Asia-versions altoghether even though the original Jap might be more expensive?
              Yes, I do that. Didn't bother me much before, but a "Chinese" game corrupted one of my memory cards. Proper JPN version every time since that happened...

Comment

I always get the JPN version when possible, even if it means spending a bit more. I can't speak/read a single word of Japanese so i'm not really sure why I do (other than the fact I like the look of Japanese writing more than say Korean), I just do

Comment

I got the game yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it. At least my Japanese skills have improved a little but I still have no idea what's going on in the story. I never understood importers who get the game even if they have no comprehension of the most important aspect of the entire game! No, I don't understand myself.

However I'm dissapointed with Lik-Sang's service! I got the game fairly fast in less then two weeks. I ordered a Mem Card with the game, which are both fairly thin items, and they packed them into an oversize box that could've fit at least 5 games and 4 mem cards! They could've packed the items in a slip-case envelope which would've saved everybody their time and my money. I had to pay 17 for customs. Secondly, Lik-Sang displays an incorrect item on their shopping list. Their catalog clearly says that they sell Tales of Rebirth in its "Asia" version, however, what I got is the Japanese version! Of course, that's exactly what I wanted.

1) The Japanese distribution mark is not listed on the back cover of the game.
                  The marks on my back cover of this game are similar to those of the Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia that I have. I don't think that the "FOR JAPAN ONLY" on the back, under the barcode, means Asia version... The Asia version of FFIX I have has Chinese on the back cover.

2) An English/Chinese language quick-start insert is included inside the game
                  There's only the Japanese manual and some advertisment for the OP single and a questionnaire pamphlet I've received in my other JP Namco games as well.

So I got the Jap version, and I'm happy. But what gives with Lik-Sang?

edit: So I even checked the codes. The Jap version that I have is SLPS-25450, while the Asia version is SCAJ-20112.
                  Last edited by danholo; 26-02-2005, 10:47.

Comment

Sorry for the question, but do Asia Version games have Chinese or Japanese language? I bought Tales of Rebirth ASIA by accident and now I'm wondering, since my japanese is much better than my chinese.

Comment

I suppose it depends on the game. I know that Gran Turismo 4 had two Asian versions, one with Chinese and the other with (I presume) Japanese. Maybe there will be a language choice?

Comment

It will be in Japanese. The Chinese market isn't big enough to recoup the cost of translating.

Comment

Thank god, I am relieved. One thing makes me wonder though: There are several games in chinese, so why are they translated anyway if the chinese market isn't big enough?

Comment

Working...
                          X