Running a Retail Game Site...possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a Retail Game Site...possible?

Hi, been browsing for a while and finally decided to join. Anyway, I've always wondered what it takes to start up a gaming retail site. We always see them talked about, but has anyone had any experience running one. Where do you actually get games/consoles at trade for example and at what price. Is it really just a question of startup capital? I think it would really interesting to find out. Maybe there are even some potential partners out there.8)

Anyone else thought about turning their hobby into a business?

cheers

It's saturated enough as it is, if you ask me. If you are really serious about starting an online retail site related to games, maybe try to find a little niche in the market for something that could take off. I'm not sure what off the top of my head but simply enough you won't sell games cheaper than play.com/gameplay.com/game.uk.com or with the same efficiency.

Comment

I would think very carefully as games and DVDs are too common now. You need to find something new and it will be hard to beat the giant's financial buying power. But there is room for a Japanese version of VG+ which mean it is lacking in asian market for importers.

Also for 2nd hand games there is ebay.

I would say a shop is a better idea than a e-commerce web site depending on location.

Comment

welcome and good question Miyamoto's-Evil-Twin , like Soong says market is saturated, crossed my mind couple of years back (you can buy "ready made" retail game sites off ebay for ?50 - search "xbox website" or similar if you want to investigate) but GAME etc get such big trade discounts you'd probably only be making pence rather than pounds per game to be competitive.
        A niche is a good idea, something that doesn't involve too much investment and your not going to get stuck with loads of stock.

But finding that niche is another thing ....

Comment

if your going to sell bog-standard PAL games you arent going to turnover that much profit. most people are going to go and buy off big shops and sites rather than the small timer.

ive thought about this as well, and have researched it and most wholesalers sell new releases at around 19pounds each, so unless your going to be selling hundreds, then its not worthwhile.

however if you decide to move over to japan and operate from there, then thats another story. much better returns from the other side of the world.

hope that helps and sorry if it dissappoints

Comment

Yeah import gaming is the only way to go. Visit www.markinjapan.com for an example of a well run niche site.

Comment

a big problem i see happening with turning your hobby into a business is this:

say you get an uber-rare game, that you can sell for 10 times the price you bought it for, are you going to add it to your collection or are you going to sell it. its a hard choice especially if you want to build up your collections whilst running a games business.

Comment

Working...
              X