Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Area 88 (UN Squadron)

I bought this for a mate for a birthday, and does he love me now ^^
    This game is magnificent. I only played it on SFC breifly, all those years ago when it first came out, and thought it was good. However, this was after the arcade game, which I (at the time) preferred, due to it uncomplicated nature and straightforward action.

IMO, the SFC version comprehensively trashes the arcade game. Not content with merely being a standard shooter, there are the excellent cash elements - collect money from shooting enemies and pick-ups, and buy better planes and better weapons. This mini-RPG-lite aspect (coupled with choosing the section you engage), and the desperation felt when trying to prevent the fleet reaching Area 88 base, makes it a cut above.

The graphics are wonderful: colourful, precise, exhilarating. Sound effects are lovely and varied, with meaty, throaty explosions. The weapons are superbly balanced, and the game never feels unfair.

Basically, if you don't own this game, you should. Now I'm off: gonna leave work, break into my mate's house, and play it all day.

great minds think alike - I have been playing this extensively for the past week on both sfc and mame, and like you say the sfc version pisses on the arcade one from a great height.

normally I use the guy with the beard cos he can sustain the most damage - and try to get the A10 as quick as possible

Have you tried its sequel - Carrier Airwing? not as good as Area 88 but it has the biggest Sean Connery lookalike i have seen in a game

camps

Comment

I remember when Carrier Air Wing came out, and I was desperate to play it. I have, but only once - it never seemed to be very popular, and I only ever saw it in one arcade. Still, a very good game.

Comment

Weren't the best levels of Carrier Air Wing included in the SNES conversion of UN Squadron?

Comment

Ooooh!
          /me runs off to get release info...

EDIT: Still looking for other stuff, but here's a brief Carrier synopsis/review -

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/...ing/cawing.htm

Comment

UN squadron was my favourite shooter on the SNES. I don't think that there's much more to add that hasn't been said by Treble.

Only problem - single player only!

Comment

You're taunting me to dig out my copy of Area 88 and stick it in the SNES now... damn you!

I always recall there was one stupidly rock hard bit right near the end, where basically if you died, that was it, no going back...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Chocklo: yeah, one-player only. Shame. I think it was purely due to the SFC's capabilities at the time, although I'd be staggered if it couldn't have been done later in its existence.

Mayhem: good! You should be playing it, young man. A work of art. Dunno about the end of the game, as I haven't had masses of time to play it. I'll get it next month though, for sure.

Comment

I did complete it back in the day, but there are some "bloody hell" moments near the end where you think it isn't possible to survive
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I love this game. Whenever I play, I don't upgrade at all until right near the end. Just save all my cash and go straight from the crappest plane in the game to the best one.

Comment

I want to be playing this game...right...now...!!!

Comment

That game was probably the only shmup I know that got mainstream acceptance. It got really consistant play at my arcade for years.

Comment

The game is a beauty - one of the finest shooters of all time that for playability, character & toughness still holds its head high now.

I particularly remember the first time I saw the Stealth Bomber level - the clouds & crackling lightning in the background made for some great atmosphere - fantastic stuff.

Comment

Hands up if you have completed it on "Gamer" then?

*Raises hand*

Comment

UN Squadron is a quality game.
                              I it.
                              Dunno if it was because it was the 1st shooter I played or something, but it still stands as one of my favourite games on any format.
                              Maybe an update with more levels and upgrades for the GBA would be a good thing...

Comment

Working...
                              X