In car PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In car PS2

Thought people might be interested in the project I've just finished...
    Check the images attached out.

I put my PS2 in the glove box (a very jammy nice fit).
    Got a 300 watt soft start inverter from Maplin for ?20 (which powers the PS2)
    Got the in-dash screen for ?68 inc. postage from E-Bay.
    Got a wireless controller from Game for ?20 (so i can keep the glove box shut).

I hooked both these items up to the wires supplying the cigarette lighter with power. That was it! It's a bit of a novelty, but obviously is good for DVDs too.

Let me know if you have any q's, and i'll be happy to answer.

It's Tiger Woods 2003 on the screen BTW :-)
    Attached Files

When do you have a chance to play it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran
      When do you have a chance to play it?
      LOL - exactly - it's a complete novelty.
      I do travel with the car round Europe alot though, so it will get a little use at the tunnel port I guess!
      TBH... The PS2 takes 30 seconds to remove and take into the house (where it lives most of the time) + I've got a reversing camera attached to the screen which is what the screen was meant for.

Comment

Very neat and tidy, I have a power inverter also etc but too small a glovebox in my 206, use a portable 7.5" screen DVD player with AV input for a screen, just beware draining your battery, this sort of thing is OK for summer use, but when using lights and fan, wipers etc over the winter your battery hardly charges.
        Where is your power inverter in the 2nd pic ?

Comment

What do you do about cooling? It looks like the PS2 is up against the back of the glove box.

Comment

i'd have used a slimline ps2 tbh!!

Comment

slimline PS2 doesn't fit either, 206 glovebox is quite rounded and at bottom and front so just not big enough. No probs though, just put PS2/Cube on the floor.

Comment

Very cool zipper!

Comment

Beware mate. I know a few people who have done this although mostly to use the PS-2 for DVD's. The head on the PS-2 has no shock control at all and it will seriously damage your discs and the PS-2.

Comment

*EDIT* Just read Neils mail - I can believe what you're saying.... I certainly wont be using it whilst driving along though hehehehe. That sounds suicidal! It's just for those occasional camping trips, ferry queues etc.

Cheers for the feedback
                    You can just about see the inverter in the 1st pic... tucked behind the center console down in the footwell (the silver thing sticking out). It's wired to the back of the fag lighter, which is only on when the ignition key is in the 2nd position - this way you can't 'accidently' drain the batt.
                    like you mention david, I wouldn't trust the battery to last more than an hour or so of play (esp. in winter) before I'd have to drive around a bit to top it up.
                    With the cooling... There's a pretty big, well ventilated gap behind the PS2 (the glove box really is huge... I reckon you could fit 100 pairs of gloves in there if you were inclined too)... If it starts getting a bit warm, I can open up the glove box I guess.
                    :-D
                    Last edited by zipper; 31-03-2005, 10:16.

Comment

ive had mine in my car for a couple of years now, loses its novelty bigtime hardly ever use it even at shows, if your worried about cooling and you have air con run a pipe from the heater ducts to the back of the glovebox. it was a std fixture in my astra so easily obtainable.

ive used mine whilst driving so my passengers can watch dvds etc and hasent damaged it in any way at all (thats noticeable anyway)

Comment

Working...
                      X