Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kubrick
    Which was it?

The year 2000 was definitely a good time to be a Dreamcast owner, but there's no doubt in my mind that the vintage year for videogaming was 1996. Consider the evidence:

Super Mario 64
    Pilotwings 64
    VF2
    Metal Slug
    Nights
    Wipeout 2097
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    Resident Evil
    Sega Rally
    Add Waverace, Guardian Heroes, Tekken2, Soul Edge to that list and I have to agree; a great year. 8)

Comment

.....and fifa 96/ 64 ^0^

2000, was definately the year.

Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Code Veronica, Alpha 3, Crazy Taxi, Capcom Vs Snk, 3rd-Strike, Virtua Tennis, Tony Hawks 2, Zombie Revenge, Marvel Vs Capcom....etc etc
      Last edited by tokyochojin; 31-03-2005, 02:37.

Comment

91/94/96/98/2004 I agree were all brilliant, but I'd like to give a quick shout out to 2002, year of the PAL Cube and Box:

Halo: CE
        Super Monkey Ball
        Ico
        Rez
        Super Smash Bros Melee
        Metal Gear Solid 2
        Burnout 2: PoI
        Frequency
        Gitaroo Man
        Pikmin
        REmake
        Ikaruga
        Winning Eleven 6

Sorry if I'm slightly out with any of those release dates, but never-the-less, 2002 was a brilliant gaming year for me.

Comment

1994 was the year of the big technological jump............................so clearly was the best year all round

Comment

Originally posted by Ratso
            Sorry if I'm slightly out with any of those release dates, but never-the-less, 2002 was a brilliant gaming year for me.
            Yeah, most of those you mention were late 2001, but I also experienced many of them during 2002, before I'd picked up import units.

Great games.

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj
              Add Waverace, Guardian Heroes, Tekken2, Soul Edge to that list and I have to agree; a great year. 8)
              Wasn't Yoshi's Island released in 1996? Or was it earlier?

Comment

every year is the greatest year, as new AAA+!@"??% games come out

and every year they are not like ET on the 2600

thus be thankful and stop comparing

Comment

Super Mario Kart

There could have been some other good titles released that year too but it wouldn't matter. The hours I have put into the game make it by far the most important title I have played.

Comment

1995 for Yoshi's Island in all regions. I missed out on it at time of release as I no longer had a SNES then. Picked it up a few years later for ?4.99 brand-new though. Probably the best ?5 I've ever spent.

Comment

1998-The year was full of inovation and key games.

Ocarina of Time
                      Metal Gear Solid
                      Panzer Dragoon Saga
                      Half-life
                      Gran Tourismo

Has there ever been a year when 5 game of that magnitude and innovation have been released apart from 98?

For me Ocarina, HL and GT were all revolutions in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcookie

Super Mario Kart

There could have been some other good titles released that year too but it wouldn't matter. The hours I have put into the game make it by far the most important title I have played.
                        seconded, best game ever for the amount of fun I had on it at the time. Only streetfighter 2 turbo came close!

Comment

Originally posted by AllYourBase
                          seconded, best game ever for the amount of fun I had on it at the time. Only streetfighter 2 turbo came close!
                          i'll 3rd that!!...

SFII and Super Mario Kart where my life!!...

not forgetting Zelda A Link To The Past!..

Comment

Originally posted by TerryBogard
                            even though my favourite game ever - ocarina of time was releases in 1998 im gonna have to say 1994......................

<snipped>
                            5,seeing street fighter zero on the jap psone was utterly amazing(even though its technically not as good as the saturn version)
                            1994 was a great anticipatory year. When the PS1 finally got released in Japan it felt like the next gen had finally arrived. Then I just had to wait 10 months for it to come out in the UK...

One thing - SFZ came out on the Japanese PS1 in late December 1995. It came with a video of Biohazard and quite long loading times.

Comment

One thing - SFZ came out on the Japanese PS1 in late December 1995. It came with a video of Biohazard and quite long loading times.
                              Yeah but in that same year, outside the "untouchable" neo geo aes there was nothing quite as beautiful on any console.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                                Clearly 1998.

Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Gran Turismo and Half-Life all in one year amongst so many others. Arguably last generation's five defining games.
                                I agree, so many brilliant games that year. N64 and Playstation were at their peak and some of the best videogames ever were released.

Comment

Working...
                                X