Mercury PSP Anticipation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury PSP Anticipation Thread

The reason I bought my PSP was for this game- still some rumours that the tilt accessory isn't going to be in the game anymore, I hope it is but not the end of the world if it isn't. This is kind of a cross of Mario Vs Donkey Kong meets Super Monkey Ball. Some Videos:

http://images.domino.org/albums/PSP/MERC_10_wmvpsp.wmv
    http://images.domino.org/albums/PSP/MERC_11_wmvpsp.wmv
    http://images.domino.org/albums/PSP/MERC_12_wmvpsp.wmv
    http://images.domino.org/albums/PSP/MERC_1_wmvpsp.wmv

Looks quite hard in some stages and the graphics look fantastic. I bet on the PSP screen they are stunning.

Neil.

Yeah, it looks very addictive. It's gonna hurt so much if you drop a bit!

Reminds me of wasting tons of solder in electronics just to have it roll around my heatproof 8x6 board.

Comment

Never seen video before. Awesome. Thanks. I'll have to see if I have the funds after just buying my US PSP plus booking a trip. I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze another game in

Comment

It's out on the 6th so it looks like I'll be adding it to RE4 and WOP (LOL) for my 'games to buy in the US' list.

Comment

Got my copy on order with vg+, can't wait for it

Comment

There are reviews up for it. It doesn't sound that good? Am I missing something?

Edit: Ignore me. I hadn't seen the videos. Put me down for one please
            Last edited by ChrisF; 31-03-2005, 10:34.

Comment

Very weak, sit on the fence reviews I must say.

Comment

2 reviews, both pretty positive...

Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.

Mercury is a great puzzle game and a worthy contender so far to the others available on the PSP. The unique gameplay and puzzles, as well as the balanced increase in difficulty, makes for an addicting and rewarding experience. There may not be too much replay value in this one, but it?s definitely entertaining enough to give it a shot.
                and

For a handheld system, the PSP doesn?t have all that many puzzlers available yet. Lumines is the obvious killer app but Archer Maclean?s Mercury also does a great job in providing an interesting new twist to the genre, at least for as long as it lasts. It doesn?t really have the endless appeal of something like Lumines, Puyo Pop or Tetris, but the problem solving, logical puzzles and interesting physics make it nonetheless enjoyable.

Comment

Where are there reviews? links please

Comment

Indeed. The art design, music and atmosphere give this game a very unique, off-beat flavour from what I've seen of the videos and screens.

I think it'll garner mixed reviews from the US press as they don't know quite what to make of it.

Looks like it's going to be a sleeper.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                      Where are there reviews? links please
                      Recipher has linked to them. Positive reviews on the whole that don't match the scoring marks given. The main criticism seems to be a lack of longevity, but then not all puzzle games automatically have to equate to limitless depth.

I like a lot of my games small and perfectly formed.

Comment

the reviews are crap from crap orgs. Its looking good in my view.

Comment

It has a lovely chilled out kind of atmosphere from those vids. Not a frantic puzzle game - I think the PSP could benefit from a few chill out games early in its lifespan.

The game looks like one of those rare few we see these days that'd work well to wind down to in the early hours of the morning.

Comment

Thats exactly what I'm thinking - also ideal game for quick blasts whilst on the tube or something. Wonder if it has any multiplayer/online/download modes.

Neil.

Comment

Proceed here for all the info..

http://www.awesome.uk.com/index/homepage.htm
                              Unfortunately it seems there is no tilt device. Must wonder what held it up though as this game was touted as being a US launch title and it had gone gold many weeks ago. Well should hopefully get my copy frok VG+ next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X