Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS just like the PS2

..in that it breaks a lot

My DS died today. PAL machine got from the VIP stars thing a couple of months ago. Still plays GBA games so I think its just the touch screen thats not working.

So annoying as I cant just take it back to the shop. Tried ringing codestorm (nintendo) and their phones are only on when im at work *margh* and reading their website its a national rate line and you have to pay to send it back to them and there seems to be no sign of them paying for this.

Has anyone else had one break? Does anyone else know what nintendo are like with returns??

****, mega unlucky. From what I've seen they're sturdy machines, tho maybe that early PAL batch were dodgy. If you can't get it to nintendo then you could alwasy try going into a GAME or something and making out like you bought it there. Or borrow/photocopy a mate's DS receipt

Comment

The good old Argos switcheroo as well, less likely to work out you are scamming them.

Comment

I'd assume Nintendo scanned the serial before they shipped it out, so GAME would know it wasn't purchased at their store. Looks like you'll have to deal with NOE. Good luck.

For a little anecdotal evidence on durability: my shoulder button now sticks, after I lightly pressed it sideways putting it into my pocket. The one weakness of the SP continues its legacy on the DS. I'm sure I can manage till some new colors are out though. :?]

Comment

Got one of the VIP ones myself and its still A-OK even after numerious warioware assaults, maybe just one bad one, nintendo's customer care is second to none usually. We had a customer bought an SP from us, a year later the battery died completely, we phones nintendo they told us to tell him just to send it off to them with reciept and they would send him out a BRAND new SP, quality service.

Comment

I've dropped my VIP DS a couple of times and it still plays perfectly.

Comment

Just take it back to a random GAME store, - its box, if its faulty they can just send it back to their head office.
              If something is faulty most places will exhange without a receipt

Comment

wow thats real unlucky.

I have had mine since the japanese launch & have had no problems with it at all.

On another note my touchscreen seems to be made of some indestructable plastic i have hammered the **** out of it & theres not a single mark on it. Wonder why other people have gotten scratches on theirs. Did nintendo change the plastic on the screens?

Comment

Originally posted by 2097
                  ..in that it breaks a lot

My DS died today. PAL machine got from the VIP stars thing a couple of months ago. Still plays GBA games so I think its just the touch screen thats not working.

So annoying as I cant just take it back to the shop. Tried ringing codestorm (nintendo) and their phones are only on when im at work *margh* and reading their website its a national rate line and you have to pay to send it back to them and there seems to be no sign of them paying for this.

Has anyone else had one break? Does anyone else know what nintendo are like with returns??
                  The exact same thing happened to my launch US model. Touch screen lit up but had no picture on it.

Comment

Yes my DS touchscreen packed up, it played the GBA games the same as you. I took it back to GAME and they changed it, they didn't bother scanning the code or anything so you might get away with it. Say someone bought it for you as a birthday pressie in another branch or something...

Comment

Mine is still ticking along perfect and hads done since its December JAP purchase. Only problem I have is a couple of scratches on the touch screen... think it might be the thumb strap or the stylus that causes the scratches, quite annoying cause I want it to always look perfect, but it still plays perfectly... a great little bit of kit that I cant complain about

Comment

apparently Miyamoto uses a earbud as a stylus

Comment

Something really weird happened to mine.

A friend borrowed it and when I got it back the power button sort of broke.

It wouldnt go on when I pressed it sometimes, I had to press it over and over until it turned itself on. It would then turn itself off if I went anywhere near the power button (it lost the hold to turn off functionality) and even somtimes when I was just using the dpad. It was like this for a few weeks.

When I saw my friend again I gave it to him to look at and he pressed the power button and claimed it worked. I looked at it again and it was magically fixed.

I have no idea what happened with it. Apart from that it has been fine - no problems or scratches on the touch screen.

Comment

Most internet based companies ask you to pay for the shipping and refund you once they confirm it is faulty. I'd guess the Nintendo site would do the same.

A bit of a misleading thread title btw, if the DS did break as often i think we would've heard more about it.

Comment

thanks for the response ppl Im gonna try taking it back to some shops tomorrow, then if that doesnt work try nintendo on monday.

I guess the title topic is a bit misleading, I thought it up as a personal thing really, out of all the consoles Ive had four have broken. Three PS2's and one DS. With anything there are going to be defective ones but lots of people have trouble with PS2's and I wondered if the same was true of the DS.

Comment

Working...
                              X