PlayStation 3 Hardware Wishlist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayStation 3 Hardware Wishlist.

I'm sure someone has done a thread like this before, but I really want to know what people think Sony should change for the next PlayStation?

I'd really like wireless pads as standard, hardware support for PAL60 and decent DVD playback via RGB.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd like an entirely new pad. Things have moved on a lot since the dual shock, certainly I'd like non-woolly analogue sticks, proper analogue triggers, and a decent d-pad. Swap the dpad and L stick around too, their positioning is no longer apropriate for today's games where analogue control is much more common than digital. Wireles too of course.

I'd also like them to stick a decent amount of memory in it this time. Every Sony system so far has been crippled with a chronic amount of RAM. Makes working on the thing absolute hell. And a hard drive too please, or at least a large amount of storage on a flash card.

Goes without saying HDTV 720p in every game too, and all in widescreen. I'd also like to see realtime DTS 6.1 as well as DD 6.1 mixing. Oh and playback of whatever HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movie format they decide on, all output via HDMI, component, and DVI.

Oh and a decent online infrastructure this time too. Stop making the devs do absolutely everything Sony, give some support. Xbox Live and Microsoft are years ahead on this front.

One last thing - mandatory 60fps in every game. I'd like this upcoming generation to be the one where we get back to the good old days of the MegaDrive and SNES, where virtually every game was a solid 60fps.

And all for ?200.
    Last edited by Kotatsu Neko; 22-04-2005, 10:31.

Comment

I want them to it in a hifi seperates type style...

Comment

That would be nice, the only time i've seen it(in pictures anyway) was the pioneer laser active with plug-in unit MD and PCE units.

A nice silver dvd style unit please.

Comment

YES! Widescreen for every game is a must.

I think we should move away from the black plastic and go for some brushed aluminium... well something sexy anyway!

Can't decide whether I would want a HD or not...

Comment

Simple,zero loading times

Comment

Just read the X-Box 360 thread.

Does anyone think the PlayStation 3 should have backwards compatibility?
              And if so, should it be compatible with both PS2 and PS1 games?

I remember a lot of people said the backwards compatiblity on the PlayStation 2 made the new architecture complicated... so should the PS3 stand alone?

Comment

- Four control ports.

- Better joysticks (worst thing about the dual shock).

- A removal of the L2 and R2 buttons. They're pointless.

Originally posted by Kokatsu Neko
                Every Sony system so far has been crippled with a chronic amount of RAM. Makes working on the thing absolute hell.
                I didn't know you were a games developer...

Comment

Standard hi-fi shape. That means tray loading, too. The new mini-PS2 may be tiny when closed, but the fact you can't stack anything on top of it means that is wasted in amongst all the other devices that live under the TV.

No support for Blu-Ray; even textures good enough to look nice on a 720p display should fit easily enough on a DVD-9, and Blu-Ray is going to add massively to the cost of the player if they launch early '06 as suggested.

Official wireless pads. By all means bundle wired ones for cost-saving measures (and there's plenty of situations where you'd want to save money with a wired device), but give us a wireless option that doesn't mean going with funny-feeling 3rd-party pads.

60Hz, 480p minimum. 720p@60Hz would be even nicer, and XBox-style server-wide settings of these preferences.

Them not to introduce some daft new proprietary memory card format. Included hard-drive is nice, but the use of Sony Memory Sticks is essential (normal or Duo, I don't particularly care). The number of different incompatible memory storage devices I have from Sony has already passed ludicrous.

Comment

Tis true. I tried to get normal mapping working on the PS2 but there just wasn't enough memory for normal maps and texture maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                      A removal of the L2 and R2 buttons. They're pointless.
                      I don't know about L2 and R2, but you can take L3 and R3 away, that's for sure.

Comment

Just a few bits......

NO to backwards compatibility.
                        NO to buying a seperate remote to play DVDs.
                        NO to regional hardware/software discrimination.
                        What's the f'ink point of buying next gen hardware to play the same games???
                        If they want to sell hardware on the premise that it is a do it all entertainment centre they should include all the gubbins. When was the last time you purchased a DVD/Video player thet didn't have a Remote?
                        Why should we suffer the humiliation of delayed/unreleased/censored games or botched hardware? Then Kiss Sonys ass (give them our money) for the privilege.
                        YES to VGA compatibility out of the box, why buy a new HDTV (several hundred if not thousand pounds when I have a very capable monitor infront of me now?
                        YES to regionless games (as demonstrated on XBOX) I would buy more domestic releases if they play on my (rather not buy expensive) imported hardware, that I wouldn't have to buy if they didn't botch everything up to start with.
                        Include at least 1 half decent video/audio cable, not the crappy composite RCA cable or pseudo scart box, that isn't RGB at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                          I don't know about L2 and R2, but you can take L3 and R3 away, that's for sure.
                          All these buttons are essential to the WE/PES player.

Comment

Standard Video outputs like on a DVD player.

Comment

I thought I read that Sony/Toshiba were going to standardise the new blue laser DVDs? This happened in the last day or two.
                              I guess that would mean PS3 gets whatever the new standard is?

Edit: http://www.reuters.com/audi/newsArti...toryID=8265870

Comment

Working...
                              X