Recommend some handheld RPG/adventure games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend some handheld RPG/adventure games

Having recently played through the delicious Minish Cap, I'm in the mood for some more RPG/adventuring in handheld format - could do with some recommendations though chaps; GBA, DS or PSP is fine.

A few reasons for the suggestions would be good too

I thoroughly enjoyed Mario & Luigi on the GBA, and i'm not a fan of RPG's in general. The combat is turned based, but not overly complicated while the overworld is quite entertaining with platform/puzzle elements throughout.
    Last edited by mr_sockochris; 26-04-2005, 13:25.

Comment

Fire Emblem is the mutts', although it's more on the tactical side.

There's always Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls if you fancy something totally traditional.

But yes, you can't go wrong with Golden Suns 1 & 2 really.

Comment

i really enjoyed the lunar gba game and shining soul too.

if you like tactical rpgs ff tactics rules all

Comment

"Boktai! The sun is in your hands!"

Comment

Sequel to Fire Emblem is out in a few weeks too, looking forward to it!

Comment

just got untold legends, pretty good so far, if you want one for PSP

Comment

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories is a good laugh if you're into Disney, but be warned, it is basically a retreading of the PS2 game, albeit with a different battle system.

Comment

I'd avoid Golden Sun unless you want to bore yourself to death. Lunar Legend is a good if rather easy traditional RPG. Shining Force is great if you want a strategy RPG.

Comment

I liked Golden Sun.

Apart form having to level up like mad to beat the final boss(es).

Comment

I cannot reccommend Metal Gear Acid enough. Top story, top game system and makes you think. Brilliant.

Comment

I thought Golden sun 1 and 2 were great, best graphics on GBA. I also really enjoyed taking boktai on holiday with me.

Comment

Totally personal opinion here but I could not recommend GBA Kingdom Hearts at all. It looks pretty but it is incredibly monotonous and not all that much of an RPG. Golden Sun I liked but I don't think I got hooked in the same way other people did. Lovely to look at and I adored the music but the story or gameplay didn't grab me.

Fire Emblem, yep it's more strategy than RPG but it is a stunning addictive and involving game. Probably one of my top GBA games, if not my top. If you're open to the strategy end I would definitely recommend it.

If you are into more traditional retro RPG action, the GBA is packed. The Breath of Fire games are enjoyable and I really got into Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls. Oddly enough, I was really hyped up about the Phantasy Star collection and they just weren't anywhere near as good as I remembered.

Edandersen is spot-on with Metal Gear Acid. It's certainly an RPG type game in a loose sense. I thought it was pants when I first started playing but it's a game that gets better and better. I really loved it.

Boktai, well I suspect I would have loved it if I wasn't forced to play it outdoors. That killed when I could play it and destroyed the point of playing a game on a handheld for me.

My top recommendations - Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Acid and Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls.

Comment

I couldn't stand Golden Sun either, it was just so ****ing boring. All my opinion of course. I think I'll buy FF: Dawn Of Souls and MGA now, ace thread this ^_^.

Comment

Working...
                            X