This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of time review [final draft]

There is no better game I could choose to review for this competition than the best game that has been made. The legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, I?ve bought this game three different times. If given the choice I would easily choose this game over any game this generation and probably the next. This game excels at everything it does and looks not to be trying this has several times in Nintendo?s history and has hindered the success of the sequels especially Majoras Mask.

Right from the get go you know that you are playing something special. From the perfectly designed training ground that is the kokori village, to the smartly designed dungeon and the atmospheric battle with Queen Goma. It all seems that there is something more important going on that Link doesn?t know about.

The thing that brings me back again and again is how epic Ocarina feels which is missing from the most part of the Wind Waker. The first time I played OoT and I went out onto Hyrule field I stopped and looked on how it went on to the horizon. The first thing I did was to run a lap around the field I think it took around five minutes.

The biggest innovation in terms of what had been tried in previous Zelda?s was the use of music. The ocarina was in Links Awakening before that and used three songs to activate certain things but in Oot the ideas from Links Awakening is taken and used to perfection. People griped that the over world song wasn?t in it but who cares some of the best moments in the game were Link and Sheik?s duets.

Another thing that makes Ocarina stand out from the crowd is the controls. Whether you?re playing it on the N64 or the Game Cube it just seems right. It rarely happens in a franchise that the control system is made so well it doesn?t have to be changed around in the sequels even those on the next generation consoles. I bet when some of the readers first heard about the auto jump they went nah why couldn?t there just be a normal jump button. But seeing how it was implemented and how well it works with the game there isn?t any need for one.

The level design of Ocarina is just superb especially in the later dungeons the Forest, Water, Spirit and Shadow temples stand out as the best examples of this. Every area is perfectly designed and has its own feel to it. Whether it?s the rather calming kakariko village or under the well and the spirit temple which still gives me the willies.

The storyline for Oot is pretty simple boy doesn?t fit in, boy learns of secret destiny, boy meets girl and sent on mission by girl, boy completes girls mission, boy unwittingly helps bad guy, bad guy takes over the world, boy defeats bad guy and saves kidnapped girl and world is saved. Sounds a tad clich? which it is but it works.

Practically everything in the game is perfect one of the only gripes I have with the game are that you don?t have the boomerang for long before it?s taken off you and also why couldn?t the bottles be the right shape?

So now its time to give the score and rather predictably its 10/10. Now hope everybody who has a copy of the game and hasn?t played it in a while plays it again and somebody who hasn?t to go out and play it. Come on what other games can proudly say that they made more money than Hollywood at its release.

Nice review Shotski, this is definately one of my favourite games of all time too - I've played through it many times. I agree with what you said about how when you play the game, especially for the first time, it does feel truly 'epic' and the music is great! Classic game so well done for reviewing it for the comp.

Comment

Working...
    X