Why are games so dark these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are games so dark these days?

I have just about given up on gaming, all because games these days seem so empty, dark and depressing, I used to love getting home and playing games, and even the more serious titles used to have a good feel to them, which I suppose was a limitation of the graphics on the SNES, MD, PC Engine etc. etc.

These days everyone seems to be going for realism and with it making games that are just depressing to play. Why can't we have more cartoony worlds that are full of life with loads going on around you? They make the games so detailed that there doesn't seem to be enough processing power left to fill these worlds with character.

Just look through any mag today and all the games are trying to be realistic and dark, I want to loose myself in a fantasy world, not step into a more depressing version of what we already have!

Last time I checked Nintendo don't comply to the rest of the gaming trends. So the DS/GC still have bright, colourful, innocent and charming worlds.....

I know EXACTLY what you mean though, I play games to enjoy myself and break away from everyday life.... I wanna be taken to the Mushroom Kingdom not some dark ally where the tramp lives down the road....

Comment

But even the Nintendo games are becoming barren worlds, maybe I need a DS, but I would rather play on the TV and not on a 4" screen.

It was the move to 3D that did it.
      Last edited by gIzzE; 08-06-2005, 11:32.

Comment

I don't think it was the move to 3D at all as it's still possible to create colourful worlds in 3D (see Wind Waker, Mario etc). Developers are generally discouraged from making colourful games though as marketing trends dictate that they're not "in" at the moment.

That's just the way it is, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE
          I have just about given up on gaming, all because games these days seem so empty, dark and depressing, I used to love getting home and playing games, and even the more serious titles used to have a good feel to them, which I suppose was a limitation of the graphics on the SNES, MD, PC Engine etc. etc.

These days everyone seems to be going for realism and with it making games that are just depressing to play. Why can't we have more cartoony worlds that are full of life with loads going on around you? They make the games so detailed that there doesn't seem to be enough processing power left to fill these worlds with character.

Just look through any mag today and all the games are trying to be realistic and dark, I want to loose myself in a fantasy world, not step into a more depressing version of what we already have!
          i completely disagree, and here is a fine example why.....

animal crossing
          shenmue
          katamari damacy
          alien hominid
          gitaroo-man
          samba de amigo
          viewtiful joe
          gunbird special edition
          most ds games!
          most gamecube games!
          etc........................

Comment

Blame the dumb-**** media and PR folks who have brainwashed gamers into thinking that games need to look realistic to be played Very few devs are willing to take risks with new ideas because of it and hence the era of cartoony gaming is practically over, or at least a shadow of its former self. There's still those who do of course and luckily their games do sell quite well but it's depressing that a game like GTA can be the highest selling game of this generation

Comment

....and

Devil may cry 3 (think about it, how beautiful and magical the environments are)

Final fantasy games

Gradius v

alien homonid

paper mario 2

tales of symphonia

resident evil 4

Comment

Originally posted by brokeback
                ....and

Devil may cry 3 (think about it, how beautiful and magical the environments are)

Final fantasy games

Gradius v

alien homonid

paper mario 2

tales of symphonia

resident evil 4
                I think you are missing my point, FF used to have an uplifting feel to it and now it seems to be more edgy, RE doesn't exactly have that "feel good" factor to it either.

Paper Mario 2 is a nice game and I am enjoying that at the moment, but it doesn't feel like the game world is as alive as Mario RPG.
                Even alot of Zelda:WW just felt empty compared with the 16bit versions.

Maybe I am just bored of gaming?

Comment

[ignore]
                  Last edited by mattSix; 18-03-2006, 21:54.

Comment

and add ...

Jade Empire
                    Disgaea
                    Fable

The reason games like GTA sell well is because people enjoy playing them, saying it's all down to PR and media suggests people can't make up their own mind about what they like.

Surely suggesting that everyone should play game XXX instead, because it's not of said genre, is very similar to what you're accusing the PR people of.

Comment

seriously, you are probably just bored of gaming. I know I am. **** games, theres loads of other stuff to do.

Comment

Thanks to meteos and now nintendogs, my ds has been on nearly permanently whereas my consoles have barely had a look (except maybe forza). If you want an RPG give Baten Kaitos a go, bright and generally cheerful and a great story. If you don't want to play the dark, edgey ****e that gets churned out there's loads of alternatives. Just ignore what you don't want.

Ignore the fact that the DS has small screens, embrace it

Comment

What the hell is dark & realistic about GTA???? It's pure comic book stuff!

Comment

The world GTA is set in is dull and miserable to create the feeling of "real life". It's hardly cartoony or comic-book-like in my opinion.

Comment

final fantasy 3/6 was really miserable and dark but it's still the best game ever made, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X