Surviving the jump to the Next Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving the jump to the Next Generation

Everytime the gaming industry jumps to a new level of hardware, there are gaming casulties, titles which simply don't survive the translation to new hardware.

For example, I'd argue Sonic never fully survived his move onward from the Mega Drive. And that games like Tomb Raider, Driver and Wipeout never developed beyond the orginal PlayStation.

So with the new consoles on the horizon, who will survive and who will get left behind?

I think it's much more a case of the 2D->3D argument. Some games simply didn't translate and with no real developments in game concepts for the next generation (bar Revolution and DS but in Nintendo's hands it's likely most will survive) I can't see many characters or games failing to cross into the next series of consoles.

Comment

In the examples you've given, there are a few different things, though:

Sonic doesn't yet work in 3D. I suppose it's possible someone will come up with a way, but no-one has yet implemented it well. I rather fancy the idea of Nights/Viewtiful Joe-style side-on action with 3D used to help graphically, zooming the action in and out to give you a good view of what you're up to as used to happen in the top-down GTA games.

Tomb Raider on PS2 just tried to do something 'new' in order to move the then-stagnant series onward, and instead broke the controls along the way. If the next one takes as many leaves out of the Sands Of Time book as the trailer suggests, then it may be great.

Driver never survived the decision for 2 of allowing you to get out of your vehicle; it was dead before 3 even started. Something more along the lines of Midtown Madness 3, but with a less cartoony presentation and more cops to worry about, would have been marvellous.

Wipeout just had the problem that they broke the handling model for Fusion and went down the cheap route of getting Good Technology to do the art design, breaking the 'feel' of the series. Pure looks like a full-on return to form.

To some extent though, and I think we're starting to see a similar problem with GTA in San Andreas, the problem is that 'advancing' a series means doing new things with it by definition. Giving the devs tons of extra power to play with means all their ideas that couldn't do come out of the woodwork, too.

However, not all of these ideas help gameplay. Some of them actively break it, like the ship upgrading in Wipeout Fusion, or that Cube version of Advance Wars that is going realtime (which might turn out to be a fine game, but they've had to change the name it's moved so far from the originals).

Comment

I thought metroid prime is one of the bext examples of a jump to the next generation.I admit i was worried when i first saw screenshots.But as soon as i got the game i was pleased next gen but still retains a feel from the previous game

Comment

I realise the failure of the major titles I mentioned isn't solely connected to the next generation of hardware. But I think because of the time involved in transfering a series over to a new platform, there is a certain amount of expectation created.

Had Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness appeared on the PS1 it would have been accepeted, but because there is an expectation, whether it be new gameplay innovation, new graphics etc, the flaws are multiplied.

Comment

Originally posted by forpey

Had Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness appeared on the PS1 it would have been accepeted, but because there is an expectation, whether it be new gameplay innovation, new graphics etc, the flaws are multiplied.
            i do wonder with angel of darkness how much fault lies with eidos for trying to get the game out so soon to coincide with the film.I am sure they put pressure on core to get it released asap.

Comment

Yes and no.

I mean, it looked like one of those games which gets delayed and delayed until they realise they're in 'Duke Nukem Forever Territory' and start from scrach. There must be a point when a publisher has to force a date to make sure things don't spiral.

Comment

Old-school games like Ridge Racer would be wasted on a newer console. The only thing that can be done to it, is make the graphics a bit better. If it gains realistic cars/physics/handling, then it just wouldn't be Ridge Racer anymore, would it?

In fact, I can't think of many games I like that NEED a newer, more powerful console...

Comment

Daytona could have lovely shiny car models, vastly improved AI from the drivers, and still keep 20+ cars on track. That's one thing you could do, certainly.

Comment

True, but I feel that could easily be accomplished on a current console (see: F-Zero GX)

Comment

That was the only thing which interested my about the Vision GT PS3 footage - more than six cars on the track - which might actually create races in which you see other opponants.

Comment

Working...
                      X