Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2D Platformers on current next gen hardware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2D Platformers on current next gen hardware.

Really fancy playing a solid 2d platformer on next gen hardware, although i have adapted to 3d, i wouldn't mind a 2d platformer that looks great too, the only ones i have played over recent years are vj1, vj2, adventure island and metal slug 3 can't think of any else, have i missed a gem along the way, Thanks

metal slug 4 - release date - 2/09/2005 (pal)

metal slug 5 - release date - 30/09/2005 (pal)

Comment

Thanks butch, am looking forward to them, just i wouldn't mind playing something that is nice to look at, that isn't saying that the 16-bit machines don't have nice graphics at times. Just fancy some 128 bit 2d scrolling! seems pretty non existant.

Comment

Originally posted by linkedtpthepast
        Thanks butch, am looking forward to them, just i wouldn't mind playing something that is nice to look at, that isn't saying that the 16-bit machines don't have nice graphics at times. Just fancy some 128 bit 2d scrolling! seems pretty non existant.
        yeah, its a bugger aint it!

theres always alien hominid, but let me guess, you've got that too?

also, not a platformer, but all ps2 owners who are 2d visual fans should own at least 1 of the guilty gear games!
        Last edited by butchcvc; 29-07-2005, 21:48.

Comment

Hi Butch, i had a alien hominid demo and i couldn't get into it, but i have a guilty gear game on my ps2 and even on my gba somewhere, hoping to get mark of the wolves on my ps2 shortly, just waiting for some funds to come to me for stuff i have sold recently, i like a bit of 2d one on one, i like 2/2.5 shoot em ups, and you can get both genre, although i wouldn't say in abudance, you definitely have a choice, but from when i first started gaming, it was mainly 2d platform games, and i haven't grew out of them atall.

Comment

DK Jungle Beat is the best 2D platformer this gen by a long way, the only thing I can think of that comes close that you haven't already mentioned is Klonoa 2.

If you don't have GC I think Toys R Us do one for ?50 with DK:JB & Bongo drums.
            Last edited by mr_sockochris; 06-08-2005, 23:14.

Comment

Contra PS2 looks nice- and should be available cheap!

Lots of people say Alien Hominid is excellent- I have never played it though!

Metal Slug games are amazingly good- go for any of them for a guaranteed 2D thrill fest!

Comment

Oh, i forgot about klonoa and contra shattered soilder, but i have had them both, sometime ago now, both very good games imo too.

Comment

Come on man, these machines surely aren't next gen, they've been around for years.

current-gen.

Comment

Right you are

Comment

Jungle Beat looked awesomeness - the closest thing to a 3D rendered Yoshi's Island I've seen

I never managed to buy it in the end

Comment

Originally posted by Tig
                        Jungle Beat looked awesomeness - the closest thing to a 3D rendered Yoshi's Island I've seen

I never managed to buy it in the end
                        You must get it as it's great fun - gorgeous graphics too.

You can pick up the Jap version for cheap from Play Asia if you can't find a copy over here.

Comment

Working...
                        X