US and Euro PSP games don't mix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US and Euro PSP games don't mix.

This probably isn't a going to be a surprise to anyone, but I can confirm from testing yesterday that US PSP games and their soon-to-be-released Euro equivalents will not establish ad hoc multiplayer sessions with each other, regardless of which game is used as the host.

Pretty much as expected, but a pity nonetheless.

Damn, that means that if I ever get a PSP, I`ll have to help import US versions for my friends as well.

Comment

I don't have any friends, hence I don't give a good goddamn, mofo.

Comment

Slightly off topic....but will the Uk UMD movies play on a Jpn machine

Comment

Ain't that the million dollar question. I tried to get an answer out of Sony today on that one. They couldn't confirm it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by katamari
            Ain't that the million dollar question. I tried to get an answer out of Sony today on that one. They couldn't confirm it either way.
            Interesting......there may be hope then!

Comment

i would think they'll work as isn't japan region 2 aswell ?

Comment

That's for movies, not games

Comment

According to this article Gamespot got multiplayer US and Japanese games working fine. Hmm. Game specific maybe? Sorry, misread that - same game Jap and US unit, however, it still maybe game specific how many games did you try this with?

I'm not convinced that we won't see region coding on UMD games at some stage either, the potential is there and given the recent bull**** with importing I wouldn't dismiss it.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 12-08-2005, 18:08.

Comment

God, you had me worried for a moment there. When I read the thread title I thought that it meant that European games had region coding and wouldn't work in a US PSP

Comment

Only tried it with two games - WipEout Pure and Ridge (due to having limited access to the pre-release titles). There's always the possibility of other games working for inter-region ad hoc wi-fi , but I'd say the likelihood for any of the current crop is pretty slim.

As an aside, there may be some reason to believe that the Euro/Australiasian WipEout could feature infrastructure mode (true online) multiplayer. Couldn't confirm unfortunately (no wireless router available when testing), but the "Download" option on the US version's main menu reads "Online" in the Euro release. Could just be an insignificant wording change, but here's hoping there's more to it.

As a bonus, the Euro WipEout also had an extra "Teasers" option on the main menu, featuring playable demos of Fired Up and Medievil: Resurrrection. Nice.

Comment

hey katamari - just posted similar already but also have Euro WipEout Pure. have attempted to go online with that option in the game but so far only get a blank grey screen with the wipEout logo top right. looks like it's not gone live yet.

Comment

Thanks for the info twigboy. I guess it makes sense that it's not live yet, but it's interesting that there's not even a placeholder page up so far (like the "Downloads Coming Soon!" page that the US version pointed to before any packs were available).
                          We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

I wonder if the Euro version of World Tour Soccer has been tweaked since the US release to fix the long load times.

Comment

Working...
                            X