Money can't buy you love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money can't buy you love

Last night I spent 2 hours trying to win 1 particular race in the career mode of Forza. It was an RX7 Vs Supra race, downhill Kaido(b). Up to now, it's been locked, but I went to the shops and bought myself a MKII RX7, just to see what it was like. I couldn't afford a MKIII, so I was resigned to the fact that I was going to get beaten badly.

However, once I started playing, I quickly realised that its light weight was given it the edge in the corners, which was making up for the spanking I was taking on the straights and it didn't take me long to figure out a line through the traffic to win Kaido(a).

Spurred on by this, I tried Kaido(b). Now Kaido(b) has far fewer tight corners than (a) and a big long straight section at the end. This time I knew things were going to be tricky. Starting from the back of the grid every time due to simulated qualifying realising my car isn't suited to the job, I would have to work my way up through the field and be in first place before I got to the straight to have any chance of winning, probably by blocking the faster cars by swerving along the straight. After a couple of miserable efforts, I should have given up and gone to the tuning shop and splashed out on a better turbo or engine and some grippier tyres, but I had already decided I like the feel of the car and instead added minimal upgrades to ensure the car stayed within the D (lowest) category. The best upgrade seemed to be the limited slip diff which gave me much better drive out of the corners. The challenge was set. "I'm not just buying myself a win here".

After many more attempts, I was no nearer winning, but there was a glimpse of hope in each race. Every try seemed to have a moment of brilliance where I would dive up the inside of a car in a place that hadn't seemed possible before. I noticed the sand on the inside of some of the corners can be used to slow the car down rapidly and aid turn in. Or I noticed some of the cars get hesitant at certain points on the track, braking a little early. Or I would make a mistake and realise that at certain points/angles, I could nudge a wall without bending the car and get a better/slower line for the next corner without too much penalty. If I hadn't made the effort to beat this level these would all still be a mystery to me.

Eventually, just as my trigger fingers were starting to tire and despondancy was taking over, I stringed it all together and crossed the line first, inches in front of the next car. Half way round I knew I was on to a good run, but didn't dare think about it because of the huge number of previous runs that had started well and ended in frustration. Coming up to the straight section near the end though, the adrenaline was taking over and the win gave way to elation.

It's all too easy in games like Forza and GT4 to buy your way through to the next races and drive round in first place the whole time, never seeing another car apart from in the rear-view mirror on the grid. And it IS fun trying to tame ridiculous overpowered cars. However, try saving your money. Don't get carried away with car mods and you will get a completely different experience.
    Last edited by charlesr; 28-09-2005, 08:39.

This is forced upon the player in later races and it is a great addition to the game. I especially like the single make cars where everybody is on a level playing field although the mixed class races have to be my favourite if only because a single car seems to make itself your main opponent. The Hennessee Viper, for example, in one of the later races.

I kind of miss the original Gran Turismo's limitations in a way as that seemed to happen consistently throughout the title which probably helped make the game as good as it is, much better than its predecessors (ahem, imo).

Comment

Working...
    X