Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The current generation. From here until the end of the year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current generation. From here until the end of the year.

I'm not purchasing a 360 or stepping into the next generation until I feel the time is right. Ordinarily, you'd expect to be seeing the remnants of the current generation drying up as the industry gears up to move on, but there's a surprisingly large amount of high quality software due from now until the end of the year.

Are there any other people who are embracing the current generation while everyone else and the media goes potty for the 360, PS3 et al?

While I realise some of these games will feature on the next-gen machines, all of them included will mainly be for the generation we have now (PC included).

What games are you looking forward to in the next three months? I'd like to know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are mine over the next two and a half months (formats listed are those versions I'm aiming for):

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) (Little needs to be said about this. We all know the deal. It has the potential to provide another dreamlike world to exist in)

Liberty City Stories (PSP) (breaking new ground for handheld gaming in perhaps being the most technically-able game to exist for the PSP, its also covering new areas for the series through the introduction of several multiplayer modes, and of course, offering up a single-player which is reported to be up to the standards of what we'd expect from Rockstar)

Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox) (I never got around to fully playing the original after a busy 2004, so with the refinement and extra content promised, I'm looking forward to moving beyond the first two hours I saw)

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PSP) (I know this has got a mixed reception on the forums and elsewhere, but I'm hoping Konami improve matters for the UK release of the finest football series around)

Genji (PS2) (a game that was announced at the same time of Colossus to the world, ever since its intrigued me, and with Capcom not releasing anything Onimusha-related this winter, I'm looking forward to another action-adventure Samurai a-thon)

Fear (PC) (Along with a certain other first-person-shooter expansion/sequel, this is the big PC release of the year, and from the trailer I saw, it really does look like it could do what Doom 3 promised and failed to deliver. Provide a chilling and scary first-person experience)

The Warriors (PS2) (Being a big fan of the film I've been hearing good reports on this, and the recent previews over the last few weeks in Eurogamer have whet my appetite. Rockstar are usually on top of their game when it comes to referencing film material, so I'm expecting this to be well above the usual licensed tat)

Psychonauts (Xbox) (If THQ ever decide to realise Psychonauts, I'll get to see what all the fuss is about, and why people are saying that this, along with Fahrenheit, is the future of the evolved graphic adventure. After reading Spatial's review a number of weeks ago, I really can't wait)

The Movies (PC) (I've read a number of interesting reports on this, and having seen a recent trailer, I contain hopes that this is going to rise well above the usual Molyenux inflated hype. I've always wondered what it would be like to play a caricature take on the wheeling and dealings that go on in the film world, and this looks like it's going to be the business -painful pun-)

Half-Life 2 (Xbox) (After having my enthusiasm for Half-Life 2 somewhat diminished by the stuttering I've experienced with it over the last few months, I'm looking forward to playing through the game nice and smoothly, even at the cost of maximum technical flare. After the wonders that Ubisoft pulled with the development of Far Cry on the 'box, it'll be interesting to see how Valve, arguably the genre's masters, respond.

Half-Life 2: Aftermath (PC) (This has to be the biggest direct gaming sequel of the year, and returning to City 17 to meet familiar faces -hello Alyx-, and watch it fall into chaos is a highly enticing prospect)

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (DVD/UMD) (Not strictly game-related I know, but I've still not seen the fan-subbed renditions of the film, so I'm hoping to hell and back SquareEnix don't employ terrible voice actors and mess the English release up, a la every other spoken-word Final Fantasy game you care to mention. VII is one of my most treasured gaming experiences, and I can't wait to return to its world)

Soul Calibur III (PS2) (I thought the series lost it's way with II, but after recently playing a demo of this, there are signs Namco may be getting back on track)

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PC) (Could be the sleeper-hit blockbuster of this year. Everyone knows about it, but as of now, no one is truly aware of how good it's actually going to be. A free-form, luscious fantasy world, which you can lose yourself in, coupled to a truly next-generation engine could be the alternative for those looking for GTA-styled gubbins without the modern day content)

Resident Evil 4 Special Edition (PS2) (The Gamecube's star title makes it to the PS2 relatively intact. With the extra content, a generous five hours worth, there's enough here to justify a re-purchase)

King Kong (Xbox) (Jackson and Ancel have teamed up to produce something they're promising will be above the usual film-to-videogame adaptation tosh. Early word has been mixed, though on the positive side. It'll be interesting to see if this, along with The Warriors, will mark a turning point in recent licensed adaptations)

The Sims 2 (PSP) (I never got into the sequel to The Sims when it was released last year, though the chance to play it on the PSP on the go sounds a very appealing prospect. One that's slightly microcosmic too. Deal with the bitchy back stabbing family at Christmas while dealing with the bitchy back stabbing family at Christmas on a screen. Sounds fun)

My My Katamari (PSP) (Having recently completed the original Katamari Damacy, news of the PSP rendition's release this year couldn't have arrived at a better time. More Dung Beetle-style insanity is fine by me, especially when it's on the move)

Prince of Persia 3 (Xbox) (I really couldn't stand Warrior Within. I couldn't get past the goth angst cheese... after the delightfully breezy The Sands of Time, it was a real let down. Unforunately, Ubisoft don't appear to have dropped the hunched-shoulder stubble chinned Prince, though with level design promising to be non-linear, I'm hoping for a return to the explorative driven content that marked Persia's reintroduction to the gaming masses)

Black (Xbox) (I haven't seen a lot of this, bar a brief trailer and a few screens. But it looks amazing. Criterion seem to be one of the most technically adept developers milking the remains of current hardware, which they've coupled to a seemingly unwavering ability to create no nonsense fun. I have high hopes for this)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from Oblivion, who needs the next console generation yet, eh?
    Last edited by Concept; 14-10-2005, 14:45.

Yeah there's a lot of good stuff coming out on the current gen consoles. I personally can't wait for Dragon Quest VIII and am looking forward to Fire Emblem on the GC and PES5.

Comment

To be honest, the DS is taking up a lot of my gaming time at the moment, but I'm quite excited about getting hold of an English language version of Chibi Robo. In agreement with you about Psychonauts, too; I wasn't too fussed before, but since there's been so many positive things said about it here, it's really piqued my interest!

Comment

There aren't many on that list that interest me (really only Shadow of the Colossus, FEAR, and HL2:Aftermath), but there are a LOT of games coming to DS which I'm eagerly awaiting.

You did forget one very important game though - OKAMI.

Comment

It isn't due this year. :/

I would have included the DS, but I don't own one, so I can't say I'm awaiting any of the titles. Which ones are you looking forward to?

Comment

Current gen titles I'm looking forward to -

Shadow Of The Colossus PS2 - no need to go into why.

Super Princess Peach DS - reminds me of Super Mario World, which is an extremely exciting prospect.

Viewtiful Joe Scratch DS - so much potential; the special effects are such an integral part of the game, that the stylus could play a huge (& most impotantly, natural) part.

Snowboard Kids Party DS - for some fun.

Grand Theft Auto PSP - Never been a great fan of the series, but I'm intrigued as to how much Rockstar have managed to fit into the PSP. Again, the potential is huge.

Homura PS2 - more vertical shooting action. Don't know a lot about this one, but it has the shmup faithful suitably excited.

Sega Ages:Gunstar Box PS2 - I don't know if this is this year or not, but having Gunstar & Alien Soldier on the one disc sounds like an excellent way to spend some time.

Metal Gear Solid 3:Subsistence PS2 - Another superb looking package; lots of extra material to wade through, as well as the MSX games.

Pro Evolution 5 Various - because it's the beautiful game.

Mario Kart DS - the videos look promising & the possibilites for online racing seem great; MK is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Mario & Luigi 2 DS - not sure if this is confirmed for this year or not, but the first game is an absolute treat - I'd be quite happy with more of the same, although I'm sure there'll be more to it than that.

Comment

Oh man don't even talk to me about next gen. I still need -

To FINISH or PLAY some of my GC stock - Paper Mario, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur 2!!!

I still need to BUY - Resident Evil 4, PSP, Many DS and GC games including Nintendogs, Pikmin 2, Wario Ware Touch and Twisted, Mario Tennis.

And there are still plenty of games coming out to get stuck into! Mario Kart DS, Zelda TTP, Animal Crossing Wild World, Resident Evil DS, Liberty City Stories, PES PSP...

I think MS will do well with 360 but part of me wonders if they will completely f it up. They are pushing a new console, that only really stands out to the general public as a slight graphical overhaul - in a year that many blockbuster games are still due. At least the last time the consoles all launched (GC and XB at least) the release schedules were pretty quiet...

Comment

Animal crossing DS- this game is definately going to take over my life

mariokart DS- online mariokart, nothing else need be said

taito memories- haven't got a jap ps2 so the pal release of this is going to go down well

PES5- nothing else said

Comment

All the good PS2 games have been mentioned so on the Gamecube side of things...

Exclusives: Bleach, Naruto 4, Fire Emblem, Kirby
                  3rd Party: King Kong, POP3, Lego Star Wars, Megaman X Collection

I will only have time (and money) for 3 of these though. No little descriptions sorry

Comment

In fact, it would be madness to buy a console in its first year of launch now (I really beleive that). There are TONS of games to still enjoy from the previous gen. In a years time the console will have dropped in price and you will have more time to enjoy it. PLUS you won't end up with a pile of launch title games that range from average to great, you will instead have nothing but the very best games that were released in that first year! (you know what its like - you buy some games that you normally wouldn't at launch because you want to bulk your library up!)

Comment

ps2 versions

metal gear solid 3 substance

devil may cry 3 special edition

soul calibur 3

those are the top games i want if they come out this year. i've got plenty still to play on ps2 and gc that will keep me going till ps3 and revolution arrive. xbox 360 doesn't interest me in the slightest and you dont need to rush out and buy it straight away just wait for something decent to come out for it

Comment

Yeah, I'm not going to buy any next gen stuff until they actually release a game I want on it. You'd be surprised how many of my friends that concept confuses! I still have a massive backlog of half finished games, let alone all the current gen stuff yet to be released. Plus my housemate just bought for Subterrania the megeadrive, and that looks fun too!

Comment

360 price drop at launch of PS3. You know it makes sense.
                          Think of all the cheap xbox games once the 360 launches

Comment

Dont think with any of the current generations i bought them at launch.

Will wait till the price drop and evaluate what games there are

Out of curiosty has anyone bought a console then very soon afterwards the price dropped?

Comment

i'll too be leaving it till next gen consoles are reduced, except the ps3 for gradius 6 and train simulator online.

new releases to keep me satisfied in the forthcoming months....

shadow of colossus (ps2)
                              guitarfreaks 5 and drummania (ps2)
                              guitar hero (ps2)
                              initial d (psp)
                              the warriors (ps2)
                              jet de go! pocket (psp)
                              katamari damacy (psp)
                              viewtiful joe (ds)
                              princess peach (ds)
                              beatmania 10th mix (ps2)
                              talkman (psp)
                              garouden break blow (ps2)
                              homura (ps2)
                              gta (psp)
                              Last edited by butchcvc; 13-10-2005, 15:54.

Comment

Working...
                              X