Gackt & Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gackt & Friends

No, not a bizarre gender-bending addition to Nintendo's kennel. I've found myself getting back into more J-rock and metal recently after a post-sickly-sweet-J-pop lull and I think Ouendan is responsible . The crossover of J- music and other popular culture (such as games) in Japan is really noticable and done a lot more tastefully in most cases (see Charles' latest update) than here in the west.

I've caught up with a few Gackt albums (including Diabolos and Crescent) and am loving it. Diabolos is a lot moodier than some of the older stuff, and a great listen. Of particular note is 'White Eyes' on Crescent, that's my new 'Drive really fast' song (note: driving too fast is bad, mmkay ).

I've also been trying a few other groups, such as Moi Dix Mois (pipe-organ fuelled rock), L'arc~en~Ciel (who before I only really knew for the Ouendan track 'Ready Steady Go'), Malice Mizer (naturally, with the Gackt connection) and some of Hyde's own stuff (Hyde from L'arc~en~Ciel). I'm still meaning to try and get hold of some of Mana's own stuff and see what it's like.

Anyone with the same tastes any other recommendations for an Otaku tramp like myself ?

Not really a similar taste, but I've been on a 'Bump of Chicken' binge recently, I'm really liking their new album, very different to the style in which they started out and heading in a more jazzy/latin direction.

Quite enjoy abit of Sambo Master now and then, although not all their stuff is great they are alot better than people give them credit for, first album is the better of the two.

Comment

Working...
    X