Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WAB Version Changer for PSP - side effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiddles View Post
    Lo and behold - my US PSP appears to be fixed! (famous last words and all that...)

I mentioned the problems I'd had to a friend recently, and he suggested reflashing both Flash0 and Flash1 - normally downgraders and the like only touch Flash0. So we did the procedure today - complicated by the fact that the machine had decided to stop reading programs on the memory card altogether - and (touch wood) since then it's been fine.

If anyone is still suffering from weird firmware problems from a homebrew program from two years ago, perhaps this will help
    Check your PMs, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      The strangest thing happened with my PSP yesterday.

I received a UK copy of Virtua Tennis: World Tour for my PSP on Monday. As most of you already know, VT is one of a rapidly-increasing collection of PSP titles that come with in-built firmware upgraders (in this case, v1.52) insisting that you make the necessary upgrade to your PSP before you can play it.

Being slightly partial to my homebrew emulators, I declined to update my JPN v1.50 PSP, instead opting to download and use the WAB Version Changer (v2.0) in order to trick Virtua Tennis into thinking that my PSP was already v1.52. Everything seems to be running fine, Virtua Tennis working perfectly on my PSP with WAB.

Fast forward to Tuesday night - I'm in the middle of Career Mode on Virtua Tennis. I decide to call time on my gaming session, so I press the HOME button on my PSP - imagine my horror in discovering that the 'Do You Want To Quit This Game' screen is frozen, rendering me unable to go back to the main PSP menu unless I completely restart the machine!! Even worse, I find that when I press the hold down the screen brightness button to switch off the screen, pressing it again (or any other button) wouldn't switch the screen back on unless I switched the PSP off and on again!!

Slightly panicked, I revert back to v1.50 firmware, then I connect my PSP to my PC and erase the WAB version changer from my Memory Stick. I then decide to reboot the PSP completely by way of restoring the default settings via the main menu. I go to change my PSP nickname and find the type-pad function completely glitched, leaving me unable to properly type in anything!!

I was now totally spooked by this point. These 'glitches' remained on my PSP no matter how many times I restarted or rebooted it. I went through all of my game UMDs and the HOME/Screen problems still remained. I then gave up, convinced that I had screwed up my machine, and went to bed miserable.

Fast forward to this morning - I get out of bed and start up my PSP. I then loaded up my Spider-Man 2 movie UMD - it seems to be working perfectly. I then try my games and find to my surprise that all the glitches are gone - HOME button function working perfectly, SCREEN button functions working perfectly, type-pad function working fine, etc. My PSP is fully recovered and back to perfect working condition, so it would seem.

Needless to say, this incident has kind of sworn me off using firmware-tricking programs like WAB version changer in the future. I see myself as having two options - either I do away with the whole homebrew scene and upgrade my PSP to v2.50 firmware, or buy a 2nd (preferably Ceramic White) PSP.

What I want to know is, have any of the PSP owners on the forum had any similar problems with WAB Version Changer or other homebrew programs for that matter? Have the problems gone away or have they 'scarred' your PSPs?
      Are you still for or against or undecided about homebrew on the PSP?

What do you guys think? Over to you...
      I just recently bought a used PSP from eBay for my son. Not being aware of homebrew and WAB I wasn't even worried about the fact.
      Everything worked well for the first week and then all of a sudden these errors started.
      1. Home Error ( Frozen on Quit Game Option )
      2. Volume not working correctly ( Turns down on it's own )
      3. Can't change Nickname ( It toggles on it's own very very fast )
      4. Sometimes bottom row of buttons seem not to work corrrectly.

The System Software says it's 3.30.
      If anybody can help it would be much appreciated. I've read that Tiddles said that reflashing Flash 0 and 1 may be the answer.
      I have a USB connector and I 'm pretty sure I could attempt the reflash if I had a HOW TO.
      Last edited by MagicGate; 30-06-2007, 14:04.

Comment

I recently encounter the very same problem, HOME error, can't change nickname (or any other applications that requires typing), SELECT button not working (probably the same causes as the text input problem), mutes by itself when pressing home or screen brightness etc. The HOME error could be temporary fixed by toggling the LOCK switch on the 'quit game' screen though.

I too would like to know how to go about reflashing both flash0 and flash1 of the system, or any other method that could fixed this. I am currently using 3.40OE-A, and things I have tried to salvage the situation but to no avail; downgrading to 1.50 and upgrading it back to 3.40OE-A, setting it back to the default settings, and unplugging and replugging the bottom buttons ribbon connector. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I'd recommend you search or ask on forums.maxconsole.net - I sure someone there knows how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1427 View Post
            I recently encounter the very same problem, HOME error, can't change nickname (or any other applications that requires typing), SELECT button not working (probably the same causes as the text input problem), mutes by itself when pressing home or screen brightness etc. The HOME error could be temporary fixed by toggling the LOCK switch on the 'quit game' screen though.

I too would like to know how to go about reflashing both flash0 and flash1 of the system, or any other method that could fixed this. I am currently using 3.40OE-A, and things I have tried to salvage the situation but to no avail; downgrading to 1.50 and upgrading it back to 3.40OE-A, setting it back to the default settings, and unplugging and replugging the bottom buttons ribbon connector. Any help would be appreciated.
            You can check out this Topic

Comment

Originally posted by MagicGate View Post
              You can check out this Topic
              Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

Comment

Working...
              X