Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best puzzle/action puzzle game for the GBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best puzzle/action puzzle game for the GBA?

Even though I love puzzle games, I still don't have one yet for my GBA, the system that is ideal for these types of games. What is the cream of the crop of this genre for the GBA? Actually, mentioning any type of pick up and play game with tons of replayability will be appreciated, as long as it's not Warioware.

super puzzle fighter II turbo
    an absolute gem. quite a lot of unlockables. and upping the difficulty levels and speed gives a lasting chalenge. does lack the alternate modes that are available in the X connect versions, althogh i still think that the original mode is the best... and on a side note it is addictive as hell.
    zoo cube.
    also a solid puzzle game with a scoring system that is full of combo options and high score chasing. at full speed it can be extremely quick, but its great twitch gameplay. and is cheap most places its less than ten quid.
    Choo Choo rocket
    amazing on the move choo choo, solid port of the dreamcast puzzler, and if you have played that and are worried the controls will be all on piss in the gba version then you shouldn't worry. there are a butt load of control stlyes and there is bound to be one that you get on with. it may also be a multiplayer to single cart as well so linking fun as well as the cpu battles and puzzle chalenge mode.
    Last edited by concretesnail; 06-11-2005, 08:20.

Comment

Chu Chu Rocket GBA also has over 2500 user created puzzles which didn't appear on the DC

My other choices would all appear to be block related:
      Guru Logic Champ - my favourite GBA game, it's Japanese but there's no language barrier.. there's about 300 puzzles and later on they do get very hard but it's a great fun game and nicely presented

Hatena Satena - a bit like Marios Picross (original GB - another good puzzler probably based on something else) where you have to fill in a picture made up of blocks, but rather than having just filled and empty spaces (ie. 2 possibilities for each block) each block can contain 1 of upto 6 colours and you have to work out which colour goes where so it can get extremely difficult on bigger puzzles where the whole puzzle doesn't even fit on screen! Japanese again, and a bit more difficult to understand than Guru Logic Champ

Mr Driller 2 and Ace - obvious.. the most action style of my choices

Denki Blocks - simple but fun (and often a good but not overly difficult challenge) sticking blocks together game

You should also consider Klonoa 1 + 2 as they are fun action/puzzle platform games
      Last edited by r3z; 06-11-2005, 10:50.

Comment

Kuru Kuru Kururin
        A hell of a lot more fun than a simple explanation - which is simply guiding a rotating stick through a maze - this game makes you want to keep playing it, some levels are so hard they demand constant retrying to get through. My favourite GBA game. There's also a sequal Kururin Paradise which was only available in Japan

Comment

Guru Logic Champ is all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
            If you can find it that is

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.

The Mr. Driller games are the first ones that I need to get since I'm addicted to Mr. Driller. Is Ace in einglish or have an english option?

All the games mentioned seem good but Kuru Kuru Kururin catches my eye the most. Is the sequel better/worse/as good as the original?

Comment

Chu Chu Rocket! - essential portable puzzler, endless oportunities.

Kuru Kuru Kururin - (the sequel is easily as good as the orignal, but with more variety, and a bolder graphical style) Can't go wrong with either, but I still side with #1. Just.

Made In Wario - still counts as a puzzler in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp$ter
                  If you can find it that is
                  Very much so, can't find it for the life of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shearie
                    The Mr. Driller games are the first ones that I need to get since I'm addicted to Mr. Driller. Is Ace in einglish or have an english option?

All the games mentioned seem good but Kuru Kuru Kururin catches my eye the most. Is the sequel better/worse/as good as the original?
                    I think Ace is only available in Japanese (but it took about 2 years for Mr Driller 2 to come out in US so Ace might be due soon!) - it's pretty much the same gameplay so it's easy to get into but there are items which you can pickup/buy in a shop which help you get out of trouble that are in Japanese so it can be tricky to know what they are and how to use them.. I'd say go for 2

And like Tetsuo I'd also slightly side with KKK over Kururin Paradise

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr

Yes, but without a reprint or a magical release (R.I.P Compile) outside Japan most of us will have to make do with the rom. Which is very unfortunate.

Comment

I'd recommend Super Puzzle Fighter also, good fun and really catchy music.

I've heard Puyo Pop is very good too but I've not got to play it yet.

I find it suprising that there isn't more puzzle games on the GBA, they should be the bread n butter of the console instead of all the unsuitable crap in the line up, movie licences etc..

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
                          I've heard Puyo Pop is very good too but I've not got to play it yet.
                          What I played of it seemed rather too easy. I'm rubbish at it, but got through lots of rounds with no problem on the GBA. The NGPC version is far more of a challenge...

Comment

Originally posted by nickgodfrey
                            Very much so, can't find it for the life of me.
                            Indeed. I remeber having an order with play-asia a while ago when they had some in stock but I cancelled it because it would have taken them something like 6 weeks to source a copy of the game apparently. Wish I'd waited now, curse my impatience.

Comment

I put an "email me when this is in stock" on Play-asia. Next day got an email that it was in stock. Bought it and it went out of stock. I think it meant that it was in their shop stock so they moved it to the website stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X