"When did it get dark?" - views from the workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"When did it get dark?" - views from the workplace

So I'm at work, and a few of us are chatting.

I say, "Sometimes I don't notice it get dark at night if I'm playing a game. The only time i notice is when my girlfriend wanders in and comments that it's pitch black in the front room. I'll look around around and realise that it is pitch black apart from the tv."

It's like I've said that I enjoy killing otters with my bare hands.

"That would really annoy me," says one. "How can you?" from another, all shocked and slightly horrified. "Your girlfriend must be so tolerant," says someone else and there are a few other choice comments.

This really annoys me. It does. Gaming as a hobby is still seen as a waste of time.

Still.

"So if i said I sat on my arse and watched loads of soaps last night or read a book, that would be ok?" I ask them. "But if I'm engrossed in somethime like Silent Hill 3 or Metroid Prime, then that's just abhorrent to you lot."

Most of them admit that if you look at it that way, then there's no problem, but... You can see it in their eyes. Gaming. Urgh. Waste. Of. Time.

Annoying.

I try to explain to them that before i fire anything up, I ask my girlfriend if she is using the TV, if there's any programmes she wants to watch. A DVD, a video. If not, then I ask if she minds me playing. I always do this. It's just common courtesy. They still see me as an ignorant layabout with a poor, suffering girlfriend. They don't know that she sits there avidly, helping with puzzles, spotting objects and the like as I trawl the passageways of SH3. They don't know that 50% of the housework is done by me.

I don't smoke, i rarely drink, I'm not violent. Why are we looked down on?

Annoying as i say.

Sorry for the rant, but this wound me up this morning.

Humph.

On the other hand, I just sat there last night bored out of my tiny little mind while my wife was using the main TV to watch Faking It USA, while playing Animal Crossing on the spare one. At the same time. Having previously assured me that it was a quick go on AC while I was continuing to work my way through the LotR DVD I've had since November, and that when her programme started I could play all the Rogue Leader I wanted.

Total use of either TV managed by me last night: 25 minutes between programmes.

There are definite downsides to having a wife that understands games...

Comment

Gaming is looked down on because it's not considered socially viable or a culturally accepted medium, especially if you happen to be playing a single-player title.

The medium is tied very much to pre-conception and stereotype. These people you speak know nothing about the likes of ICO, Rez, Halo, Orta, Prime, Silent Hill 3 et al to really associate with.

Gaming isn't considered a mentally healthy or stimulating medium, despite what those who advocate the "Playstation generation" want us to think.

We aren't there yet. And most likely won't be for a good few years.

Games are misunderstood by the majority of people, and consequently those who play them are too.

Really. As much as I love the medium, it's looked at with utter contempt by those who are uneducated or simply don't care. And that happens to be the attitude many people take.

Most likely comes back to that whole notion of "play" and how it is associated with childhood. The fact that gaming has been built on youth, it's still entirely tied very much to that spectrum from most peoples' viewpoint.

But then, even watching a Disney movie is usually more socially acceptable for an adult than playing the latest Zelda or Mario.

Or even worse, if you happen to be playing the latest Silent Hill then you're characterised as a social outsider whose one of those influenced by "murder simulations".

I gave up a long time ago to be honest. If people can't be bothered to put a little effort in to try and widen their perspective then they honestly aren't worth engaging when it comes to discussion or justification on gaming.

Comment

My mother-in-law thinks I'm a "sad bastard" for playing Zelda: WW. Just makes me laugh. I take the piss out of her for reading the storylines for Coronation Street out loud from the TV magazine, getting all excited about it. She doesn't care and doesn't think there's anything wrong with it. And vice versa.

There's always someone who thinks the things you do are strange or odd, doesn't matter what it is. I just completed the longest mountaineering trip in the UK (the Skye Cuillin ridge, for those who know about these things), in poor weather, including an overnight bivvy in a dank cave. I can guarantee that a fair number of people on this board will think that I'm strange. Doesn't lessen the enjoyment I glean from my hobbies because (some) other people don't share my interest. Someone, somewhere is into the same things as you/me (the members of this board).

I'm sure that your colleagues don't actually think any less of you 'cos you're a gamer. Not really.

(loved the otter quote btw).

Comment

In terms of the workplace I get a mixed response. It tends to go one of two ways:

Conversation Type 1

"What did you do at the weekend?"
          "I completed Metroid Prime"
          <eyes roll> "Did you go out?" (meaning did I go out and get completely pissed)
          "No I pretty much stayed in"
          <blank look of incomprehension> "huh huh"

Conversation Type 2

"What did you do at the weekend?"
          "I completed Metroid Prime"
          "Cool... I'm stuck on this bit etc."

I have to say the former is by far and away the most common conversation...

But what *really* pisses me off is this. If I sit and read a book through my lunch hour - no one disturbs me. If I'm sat playing on my GBA then people feel its alright to interrupt me. Very very annoying.

Comment

A familiar story.

The problem is that the masses either think gaming is for children or for 'sad geeks' (whatever the hell that means).

The majority would probably find something appealing in a game if they were to sit down and try one out, but they never will.

The majority of people do not realise that getting worked up over make believe storylines in the lives of make believe people on soap operas could perhaps also be construed as sad (particularly in relation to gaming, which is at least more cerebral or engaging).

The majority of people have no idea about gaming or even what they're criticising when they berate it.

The majority of people like what they're told to like and enjoy what they're told to enjoy.

The majority of people are stupid.

Comment

See this is the good thing about high school. Most people play videogames. They are the Playstation generation as it were. The only problem is that I have to hear about how great 'Enter The Matrix' is and stuff like that... but still, it's good.

Not many of them appreciate the finer games out there such as ICO and REZ (Just to use two very worn examples). And while some who have taken the plunge and actually tried them have all come back saying: "Yeah, it was good... Alright, like..." with none of the deeper emotion... Which I find sad.

Nintendo made a huge step. So, now, 18 years on from the NES, lots of the people who owned them are grown up and maybe a little sympathetic to this gaming generation. Hopefully when this playstation generation grows up, there will be a little more appreciation until games really are as accepted as other mediums.

Still, saying that, I get looked down on now by a lot of the people in my year for choosing not to go out. Maybe they find it offensive:

"Hey, Mike, Do you want to come to Lindsay's Party?"
              "Nah mate, Metroid Prime arrived today. I'm gonna get stuck into it!"

But, all in all, I say it's better now that ever before!

Comment

Originally posted by Ady

The majority of people do not realise that getting worked up over make believe storylines in the lives of make believe people on soap operas could perhaps also be construed as sad (particularly in relation to gaming, which is at least more cerebral or engaging).
                That's what makes me smile. The sheer hypocracy I find in much of the condemnation - How watching Eastenders or Big Brother is considered more cultured and worthy than playing a Wind Waker or a Shenmue.

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                  Not many of them appreciate the finer games out there such as ICO and REZ (Just to use two very worn examples).
                  I'll never stop using ICO as an example of what a good game should be about.

As for what you say about school. Then yes, I agree. There is more acceptance.

But this thread is centered about the workplace and (or) those older generations who haven't grown up with videogaming or never pay them much attention, dismissing others who have out of hand.

Like I said before, the highschool generation of today and tomorrow will pave the way for greater acceptance in the years to come. But it's going to be fifteen or twenty years at the very least.

Comment

"Hey, Mike, Do you want to come to Lindsay's Party?"
                    "Nah mate, Metroid Prime arrived today. I'm gonna get stuck into it!"
                    [tonguepartlyincheek]
                    See, now I have a problem with that!

Going to a party with a load of lovely young girls, against playing MP... Hmmmm...

You're only young once young fella, don't waste it...
                    [/tonguepartlyincheek]

Comment

Why do we need greater acceptance? Why do we even want it?

As long as we're not stopped from enjoying our chosen pastimes, who really gives a f*ck what most people think? That way lies conformity.

Personally, I don't care what anyone else thinks (about my pastimes at least).

Comment

See this is the good thing about high school. Most people play videogames. They are the Playstation generation as it were. The only problem is that I have to hear about how great 'Enter The Matrix' is and stuff like that... but still, it's good.
                        You know what impressed me yesterday. Right next to my block are a university. There when I walked home for lunch sits a young female student eating a salad at the cafe enjoying the sun. But next to here has she a blue PlayStation2 pal console box.

Okay now you can call me a geek.

Comment

I agree with everything said but i have to add this...

I love games. They ARE an artform to me. As movies were the dominant artform of the 20th century so videogames will eventually be in the 21st...

but a lot of games are immature and in this regard the industry doesn't do itself any favours. What i mean is if you compare relavent games to their cultural equivalent in other media. GTA vice city (as brilliant as it is) does not have anywhere near the same tone and intensity of goodfellas, and SH may be wonderfully grown up by game standards, but it just doesn't compare with some thing like The shining or the work of david lynch. this is probablly why sports and racing titles get less stick. They resonate far more closely to the tv broadcast experience.

This is why i feel especially sorry for nintendo. Shiggy's best are every bit as good as Uncle Walts 'classics' but they get zero respect

Comment

Originally posted by recipher
                            Personally, I don't care what anyone else thinks (about my pastimes at least).
                            But as Squirtle pointed out in his post, it's not the medium's acceptance that sometimes grates. Reaction to gaming as a hobby on an individual level can be just as bad and it evidently gets to some.

I agree with you. I gave up caring what other people who don't know much about gaming think of it long ago. But that isn't to say I wouldn't appreciate a change of attitude.

Comment

Anyone got any predictions on what will eventually change the situation?

Comment

Working...
                              X