TATE mode rotation & LCD pivot discrepancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TATE mode rotation & LCD pivot discrepancy

Why is it that many vertical scrolling shooters with TATE mode usually rotate the image 90deg clockwise, the same as the pivot rotation of most LCD monitors; thereby causing an upside down image?

I assume developers don't really consider people playing on LCD monitors, but seeing as they're the only display units usually certified for pivoting...

Most CRTs can be pivoted, regardless of whether they are "classed" as being rotatable or not.
    The heat displacement shouldn't be too much of a problem provided your CRT has air vents on the top and both sides and even more suitable if it has them on the bottom. The degausing has to be done to most CRTs and there are almost no magnetically shielded CRTs out there.

Comment

Like Sony Fanboy said many LCD monitors rotate 90 degrees clockwork. I own a Dell 2405FPW widescreen monitor and it does exactly that. When I tested PS2 Raiden 3 and changed the screen option to portrait, the image goes from left to right and therefore after rotating the screen 90 degrees the ship was at the top of the screen.

Does anyone knows if the image can be flipped or rotated or does anyone know of any console shoot-em-ups that would work in portrait mode.
      Any help appreciated.

Comment

my lcd doesnt pivot, but it does let me rotate/flip/mirror the image

Comment

Some TATE shooters allow rotation left or right, but very annoyingly Ikaruga doesn't... Highly frustrating as it was the no.1 game I wanted in TATE mode when I got my Dell 2005FPW and plugged my DC into it's VGA port.

Comment

I saw this picture on the web and wondered what they had done to achieve it. Does the Dreamcast or Gamecube versions of Ikaruga have the appropriate options to display this?

Comment

Isn't a widescreen monitor the wrong aspect ratio for tate shooters?

Comment

US gamecube certainly does

definate TATE

have done so on my wall mounted Sammy LCD

Comment

I haven't tried 'tate on my Cube version, but Dreamcast Ikaruga definitely only rotates the image in the wrong direction for Dell monitors.

Psyvariar Complete on the PS2 allows you to use any of the four possible rotation options, so that works (even if you can't connect it up in VGA, natch).

Comment

Could I rotate a 32 inch LCD for it assuming I can put it on the wall.

Comment

Some TATE shooters allow rotation left or right
                      Homura is one that allows this.

Comment

Thanks mid.

I may consider buying a copy of that. Played Psyvariar 2: Will to Fabricate years ago on a friends Dreamcast and thought it was pretty good. I don't remember what the screen options were for that version though.

Wish I could get Namco Museum Galaxian and PS1 Raiden 2 to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X