360 component shadowing semi-solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 component shadowing semi-solution

After a bit of tinkering about, I've managed to reduce the shadowing that affects some people who use the 360 through Component.

What detracts from the image quality are oddly the left and right audio jacks, or the output that's going through them from the 360 when all five leads are directly connected together into their component ports. Go to a screen where you see clear text shadowing and disconnect the audio jacks - you should see a very slight difference, but it can be improved.

This will only work if you have a Component splitter (I'm using the Farmer box from Play Asia).

What you need to do is split the video signal of the 360 and the audio signal away from each other. To do this, plug the 360 video cables into one of the splitters on the Farmer box, the corresponding Farmer video component cables into your television, and the 360 audio cables directly into your unit. There should be a difference - it doesn't get rid of the ghosting altogether but it does compact the echoing nearer the original image. For some reason, I get best results by plugging the component video cables into the 2nd splitter on the Farmer box - if you use this splitter, your results may vary by using either splitters 1, 2 or 3. Try and see if it makes a difference.

Also for LG users - setting the contrast and the brightness closely together helps the separation of the audio/video cables. I'm using 52 brightness, 55 contrast, and the ghosting on white/orange/red-to-blacks has all but disappeared.
    Last edited by Concept; 26-12-2005, 20:15.

I connect audio through my surround via optical cable, so it might explain why I dont get any of this shadowing. My picture is crystal clear through the 360, but when using the Xbox Evo dash, I get some slight shadowing on text, but nothing else after that.

My settings for the LG are:

Contrast: 100
    Brightness: 50
    Colour: 50
    Sharpness: 0

Try that Concept, and see what you get.

Comment

Contrast emphasises the problem unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion.

Well, I've got it down to a forgetable level, so it'll do until I can obtain a VGA cable.

Comment

Sharpness that low? Always found that visually unpleasing myself, though I am told it is 'correct' :P

Comment

I have sharpness very low too (somewhere between 5-10 usually). The LG defaults to a high level which tends to make games look awful in my eyes.

I've managed to sort the flickering/spot 1080i situation out too. If the yellow composite cable that comes attached to the official component lead is connected to a composite port while the component cables are plugged in, then it seems to aid the downscaling (bizarre but it's eradicated the problem). The trouble is, as I'm sure LG owners know, the yellow composite port is too far away from the component ports for them all to be connected at the same time.

I got around this by using an old unused scart switcher with the right connections on. Why am I using 1080i? I find the image preferable to 720p personally as I notice the difference in resolution (downscaling looks better than upscaling on the LG for me). Play Kameo to see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
          X