Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you/have you worked in the Games Industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can safely say that entering the games industry has never entered my mind. I don't want to be put off gaming by being swamped in it.

bri

Comment

International bump your first thread day

I still no longer work in the games industry, for all the reasons I posted back on page 2 of this thread. In fact with my current financial burden, it wouldn't be possible to go back to the industry.

However, I have been thinking about a little dreamcast homebrew programming.

Comment

Wow, way to dig up an old thread...

"I am Felix, I am in the industry" - Games Devs anonymous!
        Last edited by FelixofMars; 15-12-2005, 08:59.

Comment

I always thought they hired monkeys tbh....

Comment

I work with game developers. But as previously noted you have to be seriously smart, particularly at maths to get anywhere, otherwise you'll end up being in the programming chicken coup.

Neil.

Comment

Erm... ok, old thread, but whatever.
              I'd just rather not because I don't want to mix the daily grind with one of my primary pleasure sources.
              That and I'd prefer a career in an industry that actually pays decent money to more than the select few and is less volatile, which is what I've gone for.

Comment

Would really have liked to work in the games industry......probably around the snes/megadrive era

Not now though seems to have got far more stressful making games nowdays.All i keep hearing about is publishers demands/deadlines etc

Comment

Dont think I'd like to work in the games industry, simply because games to me are like stories, even if they are not story based games and just simulators like driving games I enjoy progressing in the game and being rewarded. If I was making a game and slogging over it for months or even years. I'd be sick and tired of it and never want to play it again becasue there would be nothing to uncover or discover.

Originally posted by vertigo
                  I'd just rather not because I don't want to mix the daily grind with one of my primary pleasure sources.
                  Ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by JU!
                    I don't actually work in the games indusrty, but i'm starting one of those new degrees just invented. That have games components in them, they had a big feature in EDGE a while back it had Mario on the front, and mentions all the Degree courses with games componets in it apparently these help u get into the industry and are well recognised. I'm gonna try to get into the games industry, it may never happen, but i'm determined and hope it will someday.
                    At what uni? I was considering doing the same. U really should check out my thread "Computer Games Technology Course" Theres heaps of advice for u!

Comment

Been in the industry for around 8/9 years (my doesn't time fly...lol!), I forget now, and absolutely love it. Really couldn't see myself working anywhere else tbh.

Started out as a tester as it was the only option of getting a foot in the door if your not a programmer or artist, I'd just finished a degree in a subject totally unrelated to gaming or the games industry. Moved on to lead test and have been designing for the last 3 years or so.

All I'll say to ppl who want to get in, and it is easier now as there are more and more opportunities becoming available, is...how much do you want it...?

'Cos if you really do, you'll keep going till you get the break. Took me a year of knocking on doors and interviews to get my first job and when I did I had to relocate down the country in 2 weeks. So I say go for it if your interested...

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                        Erm... ok, old thread, but whatever.
                        That and I'd prefer a career in an industry that actually pays decent money to more than the select few and is less volatile, which is what I've gone for.
                        That's a common misconception. The majority of people in the industry don't play games at work - they're either staring at 3DS Max/Maya/XSI/Photoshop, or at MS Visual Studio/other coding apps.

The money isn't bad in the US I believe, but for most people working in the UK it pays pennies and the hours are very, very long. I'm particularly fond of the huge amount of unpaid overtime we have to work. It's a thrill, especially when the boss turns up in a new Ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
                          I'm particularly fond of the huge amount of unpaid overtime we have to work. It's a thrill, especially when the boss turns up in a new Ferrari.
                          Lol! God I remember those days, used to drive us up the wall. Cheeky b@stards...

Thank god i work for a sound bunch of ppl now.

Comment

The impression I always get from the industry is that it's all very closed doors - I particularly remember the cutdowns/closures/redundancies that happened a few months ago in the UK.

Comment

I remember this story from a games magazine

I think a person went on holiday to california and he came across the shiny studios he went in to have a quick look he was then invited to look around.

And even got to play on workin progress version of the pc messiah

I thought that was very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
                                That's a common misconception. The majority of people in the industry don't play games at work - they're either staring at 3DS Max/Maya/XSI/Photoshop, or at MS Visual Studio/other coding apps.

The money isn't bad in the US I believe, but for most people working in the UK it pays pennies and the hours are very, very long. I'm particularly fond of the huge amount of unpaid overtime we have to work. It's a thrill, especially when the boss turns up in a new Ferrari.
                                Ehhh no. I don't have that misconception at all. What I mean is I don't want to fill my life up with working on a game so much and being so sick to **** of them by the time I get to have my leisure time that I end up doing anything at all that isn't games just to get away from them.
                                Your second paragraph proves my point about wages and industry volatility entirely. I'd rather work in an industry that recognises the work that people do and the games industry definitely isn't one.
                                Oh and stick gravel in his wheels. It's a small pleasure, but extremely gratifying.

Comment

Working...
                                X