Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you/have you worked in the Games Industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vertigo
    Ehhh no. I don't have that misconception at all. What I mean is I don't want to fill my life up with working on a game so much and being so sick to **** of them by the time I get to have my leisure time that I end up doing anything at all that isn't games just to get away from them.
    Your second paragraph proves my point about wages and industry volatility entirely. I'd rather work in an industry that recognises the work that people do and the games industry definitely isn't one.
    Oh and stick gravel in his wheels. It's a small pleasure, but extremely gratifying.
    I've never had that problem tbh. I come home and still look forward to playing games, and I've been working in the industry for years.

It does mean I end up more critical perhaps, I tend to pick stuff apart for technical errors and whatnot, but it works the other way too - I can be super impressed by something which I know is technically good even when others fail to notice.

I can't imagine working in any other industry though, for all it's faults. I think I just need to find a better dev to work for.

Comment

I find it a similar experience, yes we have our trouble days but acctually making games is very diffrent from playing them. Although when I have done testing in the past the same game can get grating, especially if your not playing it for fun but as work.

I to find myself falling into the trap of being over critical on other games, just the territory, but its good in some ways, helps you to design better games. And again its nice when you see a nice effect or something simple another developer has done but was really effective, nice uses of technology.

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
      I've never had that problem tbh. I come home and still look forward to playing games, and I've been working in the industry for years.

It does mean I end up more critical perhaps, I tend to pick stuff apart for technical errors and whatnot, but it works the other way too - I can be super impressed by something which I know is technically good even when others fail to notice.

I can't imagine working in any other industry though, for all it's faults. I think I just need to find a better dev to work for.

Comment

I don't work in the games industry but if I did it wouldn't be in making the games. That seems very tedious and poorly paid. One of the support functions such as marketing or accounting would suit me.

Comment

Back in the day I did computer game graphics and animation. made a good whack at it too.
          Someone once said I have also been linked to Automation...and some buccaneer types from Portsmouth.

Comment

I used to work on device drivers and libraries for 3D silicon. There's a bit of my code in some arcade machines you may have heard of, and hopefully rather a lot more in some that are yet to be released.

I, too, often admire things purely for their technical merit, and tend to notice the kind of subtle graphical flaws that I had to train myself to look for in the past.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
              I don't work in the games industry but if I did it wouldn't be in making the games. That seems very tedious and poorly paid. One of the support functions such as marketing or accounting would suit me.
              That's a shame.

Worrking in the industry is great fun. I absloutly adore my job, I'm paid well, I have an important role in the making of it and I'm in a department unlike any other in the world.

Saying you would rather be in marketing seems a shame...

Comment

I've been working in games development for the last three years or so, I have mixed feelings about it. The good part is that of course you get to see the games take shape all the way from concept art to the final product which is an interesting process, plus you're generally working with people who have a similar interest in games. At my office there are generally various multiplayer games going on all over th office during lunchtime. There are many downsides, the hours can often be long, especially near 'crunchtime' and moreso if you're working with a US/Canadian publisher. The longterm prospects are not great either for a lot of companies, many developers have been going down over the last couple of years and with the new generation of consoles I think it's only going to get worse. The company I previously worked with went into administration in April, I did consider a move into a more stable job with better longterm prospects but I decided to go back into games as a lot of the other jobs I looked at were quite dull. Whatever happens with my current job, at the end of it unless I get in with one of the really big developers or publishers I'm probably going to move out of the games industry entirely, I've been in three different places for the last three years, I can't continue moving house every year because the job changes.

John

Comment

Working...
                X