No announcement yet.

Halo - Hard to be good at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could argue that since the less than pixel perfect aiming system is the same for everyone, everyone obviously has the same disadvantage and the best players will be the ones with the best grasp of movement and positioning.

But what if you also took away the player movement and all the players had to do was move their view and press the fire button when appropriate? Again, everyone would be at a similar disadvantage and you'd still get certain players doing better than others. But it would be a less skillful game. The more elements you have complete control over simultaneously, the harder the game is and the more skillful people who can master the game are.

Games like Quakeworld and Quake3 1v1 (or TDM/CTF that is, no serious players/competitions use or play deathmatch) are just as concerned with movement and individual/team positioning as Halo is, you need complete control over the map your playing so you can catch your oponnent out when he is most vulnerable (respawning) at the pre-determined respawn points and also have to make sure you either defend or take control of all of the weapon and armour pick-ups dotted around the map.

You have the elements of momentum and gravity - strafe jumping, bunny hopping and rocket jumping from walls and floors to keep your momentum up as you jump or run around the map. You'll fall short of a lot of areas and shortcuts on the better dueling maps with your standard jump hence you need to learn to quickly build up and maintain momentum to reach them.

And finally you have a balanced weapon set exclusively designed for mutliplayer (in Q3's case) which havent just been lifted straight out of the single player story mode.

Add to this the split second reaction aiming you need to be a good player, and coupled with all of the other elements and you get a game which is infinitely deeper and harder to become a top standard player than Halo ever will be.

You can become extremely skillful at any game but only few have such a massive scope for improvement and technique.

Comment

Originally posted by bungle
      Does anyone else find Halo amazingly equal? Or is it just me?
      I've never lost a competitive game, but Halo is one of my strongest games. 53 kills in 5 minutes (4 player 2v2 match) beat that

Originally posted by Corrupt Rose
      Quake = Reaction time
      Halo = Intelligent positioning
      And CS is a combination of both (BTW i do agree too, although i would add accuracy is very important in quake to)

Comment

I played Halo properly for the first time last weekend - 4 player deathmatch styl-ee, rotated through about 10 of us. There was one trigger who was so far in advance of the other players that he barely had to try - the rest of us were pretty much evenly matched (even me, despite it being my first time) & had a good time - but the guy out front caned everyone each time he played.

So, in answer to the original question, I'd say yes, definitely it's possible to be good at the game - this guy just knew the game, could evaluate other players strengths & weaknesses quickly & took out the trash. It was great to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushy

I've never lost a competitive game, but Halo is one of my strongest games. 53 kills in 5 minutes (4 player 2v2 match) beat that

Maybe we have an unusually strong set of Halo players in my area for a change as (unless the kill count is low) most games exceed 50 kills (per player) in 10 minute games (8 player).

I find people also have bad rounds playing Halo, even when playing identical scenarios. I remember a game on prisoner where a friend of mine nailed everyone. He died once and had a kill count of over 100 where as most other players where under fifty. Played it again, and it was my turn to be the star playing doing exactly what he had done. Clearly he must have had bad luck with spawning areas, groups fights and cheap kills.

I love Halo, especially when I am playing with people who appreicate the fights you have together. I just get so pissed off sometimes when I die by a completley unskilled player by getting shot in the back when taking on other people. Then when I respawn and go to kill him, I die by getting caught in the middle of 4 or so people. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, they are so crap and yet I die?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Thanks, I just needed to get that off my chest so I can moan the next time it happens. Roll on Wednesday.

Comment

Well said Fire.

Comment

Just thought that I would give you an update. Today I had another 8 player LAN. It must be something to do with practice. I am getting almost untouchable now with Neil being the only person who can get near me. Today I managed to take out a team of 4 without dropping a life, with 5 lives per player on, when all my team were dead. I was pretty happy.

Well, my mind has been amended. Halo is practise (among other things) just like all almost all games.

Comment

Explains why CS is the most popular online game by a wide margin (ive been playing sick amounts of it myself for years now), as it involves the "reflexes of quake" and the "positioning of Halo" 8)

Comment

Working...
                X