Remembering a generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
    More than NCL or M$ did onthe X-Box for the CUBE that much is for sure. You might not have liked them but the the likes of Eye Toy , Buzz and Sing Star were pretty innovation games, plus the amazing guitar Heror should be coming this sping for Pal

Then as for Original Sony productions or published titles you have ICO and Colossus (2 of the most original games this gen) then you have the likes of Siren, Flipnic, Amplitude , Fantavsion, Ratchet And Clank, Jak and Daxter, God Of War, Drop Ship, Ghost Squad, Primal and host of other original productions from SONY , all in stark contrast to what M$ or NCL offered this gen .

There might not have been good but it's for more than what M$ or NCL offerd for thier home consoles.
    Nintendo gave/come out with - Donkey kongas, donkey kong jungle beat, Gba - GC connectivity, Mic games in mario party 6, gameboy player, zelda WW (The graphics), Wavebird, Luigi's mansion, metroid prime (series debut in 3d)
    and much more this generation.

Half of the stuff your mentioning isnt by Sony.
    If we included innovation on the cube etc not by Nintendo I'm pretty sure it would be close if not more than stuff on ps2.
    Last edited by Ouenben; 12-02-2006, 13:33.

Comment

If Nintendo had released EyeToy/Singstar/whatever etc instead, we'd all be labelling it innovative.
      If we want to get anal, the NGPC-DC connectivity predates GC-GBA connectivity.

And Nintendo didn't make Metroid Prime FYI, Retro Studios did.

I agree Nintendo have made a real effort to be innovative in this generation, but people only seem to want to recognise it when Nintendo do it.
      Last edited by sj33; 12-02-2006, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_nintendo
        Nintendo gave/come out with - Donkey kongas, donkey kong jungle beat, Gba - GC connectivity, Mic games in mario party 6, gameboy player, zelda WW (The graphics), Wavebird, Luigi's mansion, metroid prime (series debut in 3d)
        and much more this generation.

Half of the stuff your mentioning isnt by Sony.
        If we included innovation on the cube etc not by Nintendo I'm pretty sure it would be close if not more than stuff on ps2.
        Still doesn't get around the fact that there's tons more innovative gaming to be had on Sony's system. Clutching at straws when you list Cel shaded graphics as innovative, Namco's drums, an FPS and other some other underused features mind

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
          If Nintendo had released EyeToy/Singstar/whatever etc instead, we'd all be labelling it innovative.
          If we want to get anal, the NGPC-DC connectivity predates GC-GBA connectivity.

And Nintendo didn't make Metroid Prime FYI, Retro Studios did.

I agree Nintendo have made a real effort to be innovative in this generation, but people only seem to want to recognise it when Nintendo do it.
          Perhaps because the Nintendo stuff has genuine soul, and feels like it was made out of love. Sony stuff just feels like it was only brought out because the competition have already done it, or they were just about to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bada Bing!
            Perhaps because the Nintendo stuff has genuine soul, and feels like it was made out of love. Sony stuff just feels like it was only brought out because the competition have already done it, or they were just about to.
            Oh true, but I still reckon if Nintendo made EyeToy/SongStar/etc first, it would suddenly gain this 'soul' and be seen as innovative.

Comment

For all the "innovation" (which I feel has lost alot of what it meant these days)..... on PS2 there sure is a alot of continous sequels, crap, clones etc.

Square Enix.. What are they doing to make the latest FF different/less of the same thing?
              I know FF 11 was online. Whats 12 like/about?

Comment

For all the "innovation" (which I feel has lost alot of what it meant these days)..... on PS2 there sure is a alot of continous sequels, crap, clones etc.

Square Enix.. What are they doing to make the latest FF different/less of the same thing?
                I know FF 11 was online. Whats 12 like/about?
                An entirely different battle system?

Comment

There was me, thinking that this thread would be a remembrance of everything great about this generation.

Instead, its degenerated into the usual idiotic fanboy rants, the 'my console is better than yours' posts which do nobody any favours.....

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                    An entirely different battle system?
                    Is that all?

Mind you Nintendo are just as bad for their usual Mario party tripe ft:

Back on erm topic-

My fave generation is probably the N64 era.. So many moments.. Playing mario 64 for the first time, hundreds of mario kart 64 and Goldeneye battles fought, finishing banjo kazooie, playing smash bros melee multiplayer, First play of teken, Spyro on ps1 etc!

Comment

erm... the topic is lookin back on the generation thats just concluding :P and I also think it's meant to be a "positive" look back rather than a bitter one.

Comment

My fave generation is probably the N64 era.. So many moments.. Playing mario 64 for the first time, hundreds of mario kart 64 and Goldeneye battles fought, finishing banjo kazooie, playing smash bros melee multiplayer, First play of teken, Spyro on ps1 etc!
                        You'd have only been about 5 when the N64 came out, you young whippersnapper. That's some quality gaming for someone that age.

Kids these days, eh? Don't know they're born.. You should be forced to play on a BBC Micro for a couple of years before they let you on the good stuff

Comment

People are bashing consoles because they have different games. I wish the majority of games did come out on all systems because it would stop all this pointless negativity aimed at certain machines.

If the XB1 had also received Katamari, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear.. it would obviously garner more respect from those that dislike it's range of games.

It's the fault of Namco, Konami and Capcom that the XB1 and Gamecube haven't played host to some of the PS2's big hitters!

We all know the Playstation range of consoles are going to receive more Japanese games, and find favour with the Japanese publishers. If you want Japanese games buy a PS2/PS3, because expecting a large diverse range of Japanese games on a Microsoft console is a waste of hope!

I have liked the Xbox the most this generation because it's played host to lots of quality titles, and Live is excellent. It may not receive many Japanese titles, but it still has a handful of Japanese titles that I regard as A-Grade classics!
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-02-2006, 23:19.

Comment

I think this generation, dispite cries of graphical updates, has been a real evolution over the last generation.
                            The 32/64-bit era was an era when 3D was really just finding it's feet. Of course, there were real gems that came of of that era (Zelda OoT and Panzer Saga standing out to me)... but when I look at the software we've been treated to in this generation, it's really the kind of stuff we DREAMED of 10 years ago. Go play RE4, or SotC/Ico or similar title and think back 10 years ago when you had your PlayStation...

I really can't wait to see what the next gen will bring, and hope it brings a similar amount of quality at a larger scale.

Comment

Stop. Now. Back on topic.

Comment

Is that all?
                                Well, like all Final Fantasy games bar X-2, the plot and characters are bound to be different.

So about leaves the fact that it's still an RPG in the Japanese style, by the same artists and scriptwriters. Changing any more would lead to pretty fair accusations that they were only using the FF name for publicity on an entirely new game.

Comment

Working...
                                X