Backwards Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwards Compatibility

What is everyone's opinions here about backwards compatibility? Is it a must have for a console in this day and age? Is it an added bonus that people should not expect? Or should it be kept out of new consoles altogether?

A must have as far as I'm concerned. the gap between new consoles launching is getting smaller, as is the space under my TV. I have loads of games that I need to get around to finishing, and if I'm honest I probably won't finish them all before the next one comes along, and, as I don't want my living room to resemble a cash convertors, I'd prefer to have as few consoles in there as possible.

Comment

for me it's not more then a nice extra bonus... I never sell my "old" consoles so I don't care so much if I can't play them on the new console.
      And it's only once in a while that I have the urge to play some classics.

But I have to admit it's nice if it is backwards comp. because it's easier for me to play one of the old games (I don't need to connect the old console).

Comment

I think, in a day in age where new generations of hardware are arriving before the previous generation have fulfilled their duty and lived up to their full potential, backwards compatibility is a very welcome feature. Add to that the growing appeal of many looking to discover cheap catalogue titles and yes, I think certainly it is something many have come to expect and hope for these days.

I don?t think it?s a necessity however, that lack of backwards compatibility would put off many ?if any- from purchasing the latest machine, but it no longer seems something we have to demand anymore anyway since Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft seem to understand the growing significance of giving gamers access to catalogue releases. Certainly Sony must championed for really pushing it with the PS2, and Nintendo with the various generations of Gameboy systems through to the DS.

It?s still a shame there is such a struggle to get Xbox games running on the 360 as, like jimmie2k suggests, I think many could do without the two burly Xbox machines on display alongside however many other consoles [though I don't sell my old consoles either] - but also from Microsoft's own point of view, the 360s backward compatibility (if forced to remain in its current state of advancing at a snails pace) obviously won't hold a candle to the dedicated support we're being primed to expect from the Revolution?s ability to play all Cube games, and the PS3s ability to play all PS1 and PS2 games.

Comment

Very little importance to me - I think I've used it about twice on the PS2, and only Halo2 seems to run well on Xbox360.

I've more interest in playing new games than old games on new hardware.

Comment

Essential. Just one example: the PS2 gave me the opportunity to play Guitar Freaks 1 & 2 with digital audio, which was a massive improvement over playing them on the PS1. Also meant I could swap and change discs between all the versions without having to change consoles.

Comment

Every little helps. They could probably include a whole PS1 in the PS3 on a tiny chip for about 10p, so would be rude not to make it backwards comp.

Comment

Backward compatibility, when the previous generation are still doing fine, is pretty handy for the manufacturers as well. Each time I buy a new Nintendo portable, and with Sony's PS2 as well, the previous generation gets passed down to friends, or more usually their children. I keep most of my games, of course, because I can still play them on the new machine. So they've now got a machine they wouldn't have otherwise owned, and want to buy something to play on it. Hey presto, more software sales, and we all know that's where the bulk of the profits come from.

Comment

Sometimes it's a good thing (i.e DS GBA compatibility) but I think for example the xbox1 emulation is a bit of a waste of time - probably explains why it has been quite slow to pick up as well.

It's a tick on the console box and nothing more - I mean do you think MS want you buying xbox1 titles for your 360 ? no.

I don't believe there can be many people who played PS1 games on their PS2's are there ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce
                    for me it's not more then a nice extra bonus... I never sell my "old" consoles so I don't care so much if I can't play them on the new console.
                    And it's only once in a while that I have the urge to play some classics.

But I have to admit it's nice if it is backwards comp. because it's easier for me to play one of the old games (I don't need to connect the old console).
                    I'm much the same, it's not essential to me - I'm not that bothered about backwards compatibility on the Xbox because the few games I do still play on my Xbox would be missing their saves on the 360 anyway.

John

Comment

The pretty poor implementation of BC on the 360 has made me realize how important the option is to me. I don?t have space for lots of machine?s set up and because of this I am missing out on a number of quality Xbox games. It?s quite difficult to remove one console from the setup I have and replace with another. I?m really going to feel it next week when Outrun:C2C comes out

Comment

I'm much the same, it's not essential to me - I'm not that bothered about backwards compatibility on the Xbox because the few games I do still play on my Xbox would be missing their saves on the 360 anyway.
                        That's more about the 360s compatibility being broken though isn't it... if they'd done it properly I guarantee you'd use it. Look at all the people pissed because Outrun 2006 isn't getting a 360 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
                          I don't believe there can be many people who played PS1 games on their PS2's are there ?
                          God yes. WipEout 3: Special Edition, Strider and puzzle titles, mainly.

Comment

I think, in a day in age where new generations of hardware are arriving before the previous generation have fulfilled their duty and lived up to their full potential, backwards compatibility is a very welcome feature. Add to that the growing appeal of many looking to discover cheap catalogue titles and yes, I think certainly it is something many have come to expect and hope for these days.

I don?t think it?s a necessity however, that lack of backwards compatibility would put off many ?if any- from purchasing the latest machine, but it no longer seems something we have to demand anymore anyway since Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft seem to understand the growing significance of giving gamers access to catalogue releases. Certainly Sony must championed for really pushing it with the PS2, and Nintendo with the various generations of Gameboy systems through to the DS.

It?s still a shame there is such a struggle to get Xbox games running on the 360 as, like jimmie2k suggests, I think many could do without the two burly Xbox machines on display alongside however many other consoles [though I don't sell my old consoles either] - but also from Microsoft's own point of view, the 360s backward compatibility (if forced to remain in its current state of advancing at a snails pace) obviously won't hold a candle to the dedicated support we're being primed to expect from the Revolution?s ability to play all Cube games, and the PS3s ability to play all PS1 and PS2 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK
                              I (still) play once in a while some massive Tempest X3 session on it... but that's about the only PS1 game I play on the PS2 ......

Comment

Working...
                              X