This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brats View Post
    Wash your mouth out with Dettol. Robotron always was (and still is) the definitive score based twitch arcade game. There's so many different ways to play it, the depth is immense and yet so deceptive.

Absolutely, Robotron is great. And it spawned both Mutant Storm and Geometry Wars on Live Arcade, both of which are also excellent.

Isn't Mutant Storm 2 on the way? I'd snap that up.

Classic status aside I could do without stuff like Ms.Pacman and Rally X though. Bring on OutRun I say.

Comment

Wash your mouth out with Dettol. Robotron always was (and still is) the definitive score based twitch arcade game. There's so many different ways to play it, the depth is immense and yet so deceptive.

Why do you think so many people are going overboard with Geometry Wars? It's the same game brought up to date with smoother graphics and 360 degree movement and fire. In fact, I can't think of any genre where the current definitive title is so similar to the original that inspired it. Try comparing a racing game with a 25 year old racing title and see.

I personally believe that in the early 1980's, some incredibly intelligent alien life forms abducted Eugene Jarvis and took command of his brain for twelve months. Only that can explain how he created both Defender and Robotron is such a short space of time (and then went on to create Cruisin' USA ).
      I don't mean to wind you up for anything but Geometry Wars is nothing great to me. I found Defender , Robotron dull and boring and they looked poor when they 1st came out . I liked the likes of Asteroids , Star wars ect far more in the Arcades a round that time . But more to the point the likes of Robotron have been done to death and have appeared on most formats .
      I?ll rather see more of the SEGA, TATIO coin ups that have yet to be ported , or ones that sufferd in the translation due to console lacking power

Comment

Off topic. Def Jam demo is gash! Why are the buildings jumping?
        It seems to be timed to a few mins, then mid fight it fades to white. The end!

Comment

Originally posted by bignige View Post
          Off topic. Def Jam demo is gash! Why are the buildings jumping?
          It seems to be timed to a few mins, then mid fight it fades to white. The end!
          did you play Fight for NY? i wanna know how it compares... if it's more of the same then i'm buying it, i ****ing adored that game. oldschool controls meets ultrabling rappers. kicking sean paul in the face is ALWAYS satisfying.

Comment

No really off topic as this is the discussion thread

I was hoping it'd be good as it's by the FN team !!! Try it when I get home I enjoyed the NBA Street game where others didn't so I might get something out of it.

I tell you what - If they want to chuck up the oldies with online co-op where's the likes of Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Island/Parasol Stars/Super Pang ? You know, the good ones !!!

Comment

If my memory serves me well it's not even close to the quality of FFNY.

Comment

What about Doom, Street Fighter 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3?
                Those are great but it's only three and they're not exactly varied, I bought all three but what if you don't like beat-em-ups?

Anyway it makes sense to begin with the classics. If nothing else, it makes people aware of where many of today's greatest games have come from. And stuff like Robotron and Tapper are still as great as they always were. It's not like they're releasing badly dated games like Adventure or Night Race.
                Why not have a more equal mix though? If the old stuff really is great then it has nothing to fear from a few more classics from the 90s. Fine, release Ms. Pacman it obviously had an audience but release something for those of us that rolled our eyes at it! I'd rather more recent classics than originals. And why no 2D Racers?? WHY?!

Comment

I know Greg Canessa's gamertag is SilverSurfer. You could always send him a message:

I sent him a request before for MS to give more time to the developers of Mad Tracks to allow them to implement online play. And a few weeks later MS announced they were going to delay the release to implement online play!

I'm not saying anything but.......you can all thank me later .
                  I read today that Greg has just left MS to join Pompom games. (think it was them)

Wonder who is in charge of arcade now...

Comment

And me, pretty sure I've only ever seen one tip on Level 1 though peeveen.
                    Yeah, right enough. My mistake.
                    I got this achievement last night, finally. My best suggestion is to AVOID pushing customers out the door. The game gets faster over time, so you need to maximise points early on. You get 50 points for getting rid of a customer, and 100 points for picking up an empty, so it's not hard to see which is the more effective scoring method. Also, if you get rid of a customer, they won't come back in for several seconds, which is waste of time. So:

1) Avoid getting rid of customers, especially the lower two.
                    2) Get the 1500 point tip from the second punter who returns a glass.
                    3) Collect empty glasses until you get to about 5800 points.
                    4) Then start clearing the bar. Hopefully you'll pick up an extra few hundred points from the last few customers.
                    5) You get +1000 points for finishing the level.

I finished with 7250. Still can't finish the punk bar though.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

The JetPac coming to XBLA rumour surfaces again

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Now that would be a must buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        I don't mean to wind you up for anything but Geometry Wars is nothing great to me. I found Defender , Robotron dull and boring and they looked poor when they 1st came out . I liked the likes of Asteroids , Star wars ect far more in the Arcades a round that time . But more to the point the likes of Robotron have been done to death and have appeared on most formats .
                        I?ll rather see more of the SEGA, TATIO coin ups that have yet to be ported , or ones that sufferd in the translation due to console lacking power
                        That's just ypour personal preference, but clearly you can see from the success of Geometry Wars that the Robotron template is very successful. And I believe the garish, tripped out visuals of Robotron and Defender are wonderful. It's an artistic style that (Minter aside) has been sadly lost. Despite the 'improved' visuals with these games, I always switch back to the originals. I'm glad to see that with Tapper they didn't bother.

Why not have a more equal mix though? If the old stuff really is great then it has nothing to fear from a few more classics from the 90s. Fine, release Ms. Pacman it obviously had an audience but release something for those of us that rolled our eyes at it! I'd rather more recent classics than originals. And why no 2D Racers?? WHY?!
                        You could list loads of genres that have yet to be tapped, like graphic adventures. Who wouldn't sell their worldly possessions for a HD update of Day of the Tentacle? But arcade is young and the developers completely underestimated its success. To think that after a year it should have every base covered is somewhat unrealistic.

Going back to the point about old games, why should age even matter? A good game is a good game, surely? Who cares when it came out provided it still plays well. If it's graphics, then I don't get your argument. Tapper looks as good as any SNES game (not bad for a 1983 arcade game). If it's the size of the games, then you need to look at games in a different light. Geometry Wars is no larger or deeper than any of the old games, it just looks prettier.

Comment

What's the chances of seeing a 10 player Bomberman title on XBLA? They'd clear up! It needs to happen!

Comment

Get yer moaning hats on. This week's arcade title is Paperboy!

Personally I think it's a great game, although it's not the same without the handlebar controller from the arcade machine.

Comment

The great thing about the trial version of XBLA games is I can get my fill of the retro stuff without having to buy them, and Paperboy isn't going to be a purchase for me

More retro stuff isn't going to win over the masses though. Until the Playstation Store becomes more of a threat ( and that doesn't look like happening anytime soon, just check out the update threads ) there isn't a real incentive to throttle up a few notches.

Competition is a market driver that we really do need.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 12-02-2007, 19:56.

Comment

Get yer moaning hats on. This week's arcade title is Paperboy!

Personally I think it's a great game, although it's not the same without the handlebar controller from the arcade machine.
                                Excellent. Assuming they don't balls up the conversion for some reason this is an easy buy. 400 points though I wonder....? 800 would be a bit of a push.

Comment

Working...
                                X