Are 360 owners FORCED to buy premium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are 360 owners FORCED to buy premium?

I went out with my brother today to get him an Xbox 360, he is tired of his PS2 making funny noises and will not wait any longer for the PS3.

We went to a few stores....

Game - As soon as we started looking at the 360 offers TWO members of staff came over and started spouting all sorts of crap, one even said if i got a premium i could play ALL my old Xbox games on it, i think somebody needs to find out more about the products he is selling. I corrected him and he started spouting some crap about it going to be 100% compatable by the end of the year. Anyway the deals were poor every single bundle they forced Ghost recon and Tomb Raider on you and we are not fans of either. After bartering with the member of staff he said i could pay an extra ?10 and swap one game for Fight Night Round 3 (the game i wanted). After working it out that would have meant the game was ?54.99 surely not right as the game was sitting on the shelf for ?49.99.

Dixons - The staff were very friendly and left me and my brother alone to decide what we wanted, we didn't know if the Core machine came with a wireless controller and the sales staff told us and were very friendly.
    However again the bundles all had Ghost recon in them...

HMV - Ddin't spend much time here as the bundles seamed overpriced compared to the other stores we had visited so we just moved on.

Gamestation - By far the place with the best deals but the most retarded staff.

?320 got me a premium console Kameo and Perfect Dark. I asked the member of staff about trading in the games and after looking at his mate said why do you want to do that... I explained i wanted Fight Night so he first of all told me i would get nothing 0 not even 1p as they were free games. I looked confused and said if i bought the pack i could not trade the games. He said well yes you can but not when buying the console. I said ok whats the trade in price anyway he found the tradie in prices ?15 and ?13.

We had decided to go for the Core pack with any two games and a memory card but again we got the premium pushed down our throat. Well you can't play the latest games on the core system as they need a hard drive and my brother who will believe anything you tell him said oh well we better get that then.

After stating the two games we were told not to get Full Auto as it was crap and the yhad many copies returned, i wish i had just gone for that as the game he advised we get scored even less than Full Auto (The Outfit) still its quite fun to play.

We ended up getting a nice deal anyway a premium system and 2 games for ?339 its a shame they would not give me student discount.

Anyway i will get to my point... every store (apart from HMV) advised us to avoid the core system. one store i forget which one said by Xmas i would not be able to play any of the latest games. If this is true then why bother releasing a core system?

Anyway also after suggestions of good fun 360 games. 1-2 players I don't play online.

Originally posted by The Mole
    Anyway i will get to my point... every store (apart from HMV) advised us to avoid the core system. one store i forget which one said by Xmas i would not be able to play any of the latest games. If this is true then why bother releasing a core system?
    Its cause they know what they are talking about. Why you want to buy a retarded version?

Some games that require caching will load slower. Also you are going to have problems updating some games with patches if you only got a memory card.

Comment

I guess they push the premium version because they make more profit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by nekroxide
        Probably not, but why would anyone want a core system, they are so pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mole

Gamestation - By far the place with the best deals but the most retarded staff.
          so true

there is no point looking from 360 bundles, from what i've seen none of them give any considerable saving and most are bundled with ****e shovelware type games. If you can afford it the premium pack is probably best anyways, i can see some future games requiring a hard drive, athough i don't understand why MS opted to segregate the market in the first place.

Yes its what someone said earlier stores make more cash from a premium system, thats why in a years time you would probably see stores push the ps3 over the 360 because of the price difference

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
            Probably not, but why would anyone want a core system, they are so pointless.
            not everyone can afford to spend ?270 on a console, so many would opt for a core system, although you would need a memory card with it so in the end the premium pack is a much better value.

Either way i think it is time for MS to start thinking about reducing the 360 by at least ?50, most consoles by this point in the past have had a price reduction. It would be great if MS could do a official bundle with a reduction, selling a premium system with oblivion for around ?220 would surely increase sales
            Last edited by muse hunter; 13-04-2006, 20:11.

Comment

much more profit is made on the core system

Are 360 owners FORCED to by premium?
              you missed that part of the story where a gun was pressed into your temple,
              you were advised to buy one and you just didnt like the advice
              Last edited by dvdmike; 13-04-2006, 20:34.

Comment

Well no it was not that but they made out like the core system would not work past December which surely can't be true.

I am talking about mothers on a strict income, they go to get their son a 360 after months of pestering to find out the cheaper ?209 console will not play games past December and will be scared into spending an extra ?70.

It seams like a bit of a con

Comment

Well no it was not that but they made out like the core system would not work past December which surely can't be true.

I am talking about mothers on a strict income, they go to get their son a 360 after months of pestering to find out the cheaper ?209 console will not play games past December and will be scared into spending an extra ?70.

It seams like a bit of a con
                  so lets see ?210
                  hard drive ?69
                  wireless controller ?32.99
                  total ?311

xbox prem system ?279.99

right

Comment

To be honest, how many people out there buy a console for a certain game and then only buy a couple more after that. I bet a large amount of PS2 owners only have GTA and Fifa/Pro Evo, the core suits these types.

They won't bother with Live, only want one or two games, and don't care for Backwards Compatability. Buying a Premium is pointless if your not going to use the HD/Headset/Component cable.

Core is for those people.

Comment

i had a core until it broke and i sell 360's for a living

Comment

I have a core, but yeah I intend to "upgrade" it very soon. But at the time it was the only ver of the console I could get, as I'm guessing they had alot of problems with the hard drives given the initial complete shortage of both them and premium packs (more so than cores) but now that both are freely availible, anyone buying a core pack would be a bit stupid imo.

Comment

Isn't the moral of this thread that all sales people want to sell you what gets them most money and/or whatever they are told to push from people higher up? Game shops stretch the truth. Nothing new. Most shops trying to sell you something will gloss it up to suit their needs.

Nobody's forcing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                            Either way i think it is time for MS to start thinking about reducing the 360 by at least ?50, most consoles by this point in the past have had a price reduction. It would be great if MS could do a official bundle with a reduction, selling a premium system with oblivion for around ?220 would surely increase sales
                            I don't think you know what you're talking about. Most consoles unless you're talking about the original Xbox or something, would not have been reduced by now. The 360 is constantly selling out fairly regularly, and the console has been out for LESS THAN HALF A YEAR.
                            Last edited by IanE; 13-04-2006, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike
                              so lets see ?210
                              hard drive ?69
                              wireless controller ?32.99
                              total ?311

xbox prem system ?279.99

right
                              says it all really, it isnt a con at all but a saving in the long run, because you will no doubt want the items in the premium pack, I have a core but not by choice the shiny tray on premium looks nicer anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X