No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just had a really disturbing thought - Nintendo aren't planning to name the controller the Griistle Miissle are they? Or worse still, The Thriill Driill.
    Last edited by MartyG; 27-04-2006, 22:05.

Comment

Am I the only person in the known universe who actually likes the name Wii? (I think I might be >_< ).

Its a fun, quirky name, is a huge play on words in Japanese/Engrish (everyone probably already knows, but 'ii' means good/great in Japanese) and the name is going to go down a treat in the Japanese market. In an industry that is getting way way too serious, its nice to see nintendo trying to change things, even if it clearly has had the wrong effect for most people.

I love it actually. But it will undoubtedly be renamed for the Western markets.

Comment

I think you're probably in the minority yes.

Comment

yeh the japs will get pwnd by it, its fine for them, but it absolutely wont sit here. im hoping when i wake up it will have all been a bad dream.

Comment

Out of interest, does anyone know if its just us Brits that use the word 'wee' for urinating, or is it a widely used phase in North America and the rest of Europe?

Comment

It is just that they took the incredible, perfect name Revolution(Which i got used to after hearing about it for 2 years now) and then they change it to Wii...

I mean if i read about it while taking a piss, it might of suited the mood. But i was taking a dump at the time so it made me angry for no reason at all >_>

Comment

Asked an Aussie friend and they use wee for urinating so it's not just us.

Comment

The word in the states has a largely childish association i believe (much like here generally). I think its also used in Australia?

tbh the meaning of the word is going to be understood everywhere. Only it might have a more humurous reception here than anywhere else.

Its a shame everyone hates it :'(

Comment

I wonder if it will end up like Prince?

the console formally know as...
                    Last edited by spinpug666; 27-04-2006, 22:15. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by stormbreak
                      I mean if i read about it while taking a piss, it might of suited the mood. But i was taking a dump at the time so it made me angry for no reason at all >_>
                      That is one of the most amazing things I've ever read on the internet!

Comment

It's entirely possible they could change the name in the West, but this bit from the official release statement makes it sound like they fully intend to make it a global brand

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
                        Last edited by Spatial; 27-04-2006, 22:19. Reason: `indend` isn't actually a word

Comment

Why thank you :0

Also, Wii could also be interperated as going "WEEEEEE" like when kids go down a slide. So in the US it will be called kiddy for that, but here it will be an adults machine as it is associated with taking a wizz.

The statement on the revolution homepage shows me why they chose that name, but still unless they include that everywhere, then no one will know why they chose that name.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats
                            Its a shame everyone hates it :'(
                            A shame for who?

It is a crap name. Calling your swanky new console after a chilish word for pissing is not a good idea. Can you imagine the Sega P00 (two zeros there, see what I did?) or the Sony Number2.

Comment

Whats the record for the quickest going thread? this must be in the top 10ish

Comment

A shame for Nintendo perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                                X