Just what is Mario 128?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just what is Mario 128?

An IGN preview recently referred to Super Mario Galaxy as the long awaited Mario 128 but it strikes me that the fabled Mario 64 sequel has been in development for so long that it couldn't possibly be the same game that Nintendo began making on the N64.

So I ask you, what is Mario 128? Is it Mario Galaxy? Was it Mario Sunshine? Did the original concept never see the light of day or did the ideas for the original N64 version eventually find their way into Mario 64 DS?

What are your thoughts?

vapourware

Comment

It's the term used to describe the process inside Nintendo whereby they endlessly think of how to improve upon SM64.

Comment

if you wanna be anal, it's the gamecube tech demo featuring 128 marios

but in subsequent interviews, the true mario 64 successor was always referred to as mario128

galaxy seems like a pretty damn good successor to me

Comment

There were probably 20 versions of Mario 128. It's an iterative process.

I remember Capcom saying that they rebuilt the last Resident Evil game four times, so the name RE4 was doubly appropriate.

I love the look of Mario Galaxy. I like the idea of choosing your route between lots of little bite sized levels ala Super Mario Bros. 3. The whole adventure overworld type of structure pioneered by Mario 64 got old fast. I hope they ditch that in favour of something snappier this time.

Comment

Super Mario Bros, re-done for the 128th time and sold to the public as a new game.... oops cynical post !

Comment

Did Mario 128 ever actually exist? I mean was it actually announced as being a real game?

Comment

Erm, Miyamoto may of confirmed the Mario 64 sequel as Mario 128, or we may of just assume it was called Mario 128 after that tech demo.

SMG looks great, but for some reason it doesn't seem like what I thought Mario 128 would be >_<

SMG is like the sidescrollers right? Not collecting stars?

Comment

Originally posted by feelgoodwhale
                  if you wanna be anal, it's the gamecube tech demo featuring 128 marios
                  Yeah!

That's what I've always thought it was. I thought they said they were going to try and turn that 128 Marios demo into an actual game somehow... and that would be Mario 128?

I could be mistaken though. But that's what I've always thought.

Comment

Originally posted by NekoFever
                    Did Mario 128 ever actually exist? I mean was it actually announced as being a real game?

I always thought it was a cube tech demo that lead to the development of pikmin for some reason

unless it's just cos the 100 pikmin thing

ok now i am rambling

Comment

I personally think Mario 128 is an enigma started by people/press who were disappointed with Mario Sunshine.

Mario 64 was a defining time in gaming and when it didn?t happen again with its successor, people thought ?Well that can?t have been the true ?Mario 128?.?

I don?t think any game will do what Mario 64 did for a lot of people and it?s useless to pin your hopes on one coming along ? It?s the same with many other series? of games Halo to Halo 2 for example.

Just enjoy games as their next incarnation and you will enjoy them a whole lot more.

Comment

Working...
                      X