out source the source engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

out source the source engine

All the talk about the doom 3 engine not running too great on a 360 in the prey thread in first play has made me think if valve will release the source engine as middle ware as that engine is ati friendly.

Myself think that the source engine is the better of the two and would love to see 360 games running it.Are there any games in development that are using this or has unreal 3 engine got most of the games?

Originally posted by hugejeans
    All the talk about the doom 3 engine not running too great on a 360 in the prey thread in first play has made me think if valve will release the source engine as middle ware as that engine is ati friendly.

Myself think that the source engine is the better of the two and would love to see 360 games running it.Are there any games in development that are using this or has unreal 3 engine got most of the games?
    I totally agree about the Doom3 engine. It doesn't appeal to me either. The fact that it's jerky on the 360 reduced my appreciation even more.

As for the source engine, it's pretty good, but old! I think the GRAW multiplayer engine is very similar to the source engine.

Whatever the devs do, I just hope they stop using PC code that is crap on the 360! COD2 had no issues. So the problem does seem to fall with the Nvidea optimised Doom2 engine... (Quake 4 and Prey)

Comment

Im not even bothered about its 360 performance ive always hated the Doom 3 engine. The actual shooting aspect in D3 games is just so lifeless its as if all the bullets your hitting people with are doing nothing until they fall over dead. I think HL2 and the source engine are far better although it doesnt have some of the fancy lighting effects of the D3 engine but it does have HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986
        Im not even bothered about its 360 performance ive always hated the Doom 3 engine. The actual shooting aspect in D3 games is just so lifeless its as if all the bullets your hitting people with are doing nothing until they fall over dead. I think HL2 and the source engine are far better although it doesnt have some of the fancy lighting effects of the D3 engine but it does have HDR.
        What was worse was that i remember them talking about the doom3 engine about how they were trying to make the shooting satisfying to make it look like the bullets impacted and the physics were right.

Trouble is they didnt i know the physics were reduced quite a bit.

Was never keen on the shooting in half life 2 either while the physics were great it still did not feel the bullets were connecting.

Think the only games that came close in my opinion were halo soldier of fortune 2 and perhaps golden eye

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
          Was never keen on the shooting in half life 2 either while the physics were great it still did not feel the bullets were connecting.
          Agreed. HL2 is another fps in which you hold a cursor over the bad guy and push button untill they fall over, rather than shoot them. The combat and weapons feel very tame.

Despite its many flaws, even the ropey PDZ craps over HL2/Doom3 when it comes to combat.
          Last edited by H-Man; 05-07-2006, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man
            Agreed. HL2 is another fps in which you hold a cursor over the bad guy and push button untill they fall over, rather than shoot them. The combat and weapons feel very tame.

Despite its many flaws, even the ropey PDZ craps over HL2/Doom3 when it comes to combat.
            I think the way bullets hit in GRAW:Coop is very effective. When you get hit you can really tell where it connected and it just "Feels" right. A combination of great character models, Motion capture & a top physics engine, all designed for the 360 from the ground up. Some would say the multiplayer engine is weaker than the singleplayer, but the smoothness and character models lead me to a different conclusion.

Comment

I am really really hoping the upcoming game stalker gets the shooting right

Comment

I hate the Doom 3 engine. All it seems to do well is industrial technopunk environments, the weapons never feel like they have any weight or that bullets actually do any damage, and character models all look like they're made of plastic. Quake Wars: Enemy Territory looks more impressive but still not quite right.

Source definitely looks better as well as seeming to run better on lesser hardware, and can scale to take advantage of more powerful systems (see Lost Coast), but even that seems like it's being skipped over as every other game moves to Unreal Engine 3.0. It almost seems like Doom 3 and Source came out at the wrong time when the Quake III engine was still in heavy use and then, just when developers were looking for something more advanced, Unreal Engine 3.0 comes out and blows them both away.

Now everything's an identikit post-apocalyptic Unreal 3.0 game...

Comment

But surely that's more to do with the art direction for each game being copied by lazy designers rather than the engine itself?

Comment

The source engine is incredibly basic in comparison to the unreal 3 engine.
                    The ONLY reason HL2 looks so good is because of the fantastic art design.

Comment

Working...
                    X