No announcement yet.

Best designed console ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my Q and though it looks all sexy would have to go for the N64 that had sexy curves but was also built to take abuse the build quality was great I cant think of any other console as resilient as it.

Comment

I like the way the gamecube is so easy dust off, with its flat top, so it still looks good a couple of months after you've bought it. I spent ages dusting the grooves on top of my xbox once, not that it helps it's looks much.

Comment

How come nobody picked xbox?

Its a toss up for me either the PS2, for its cool sleekness or my panasonic Q. The Q is great because its shiny.

So its a tie.

Comment

Oh so shiny. 8)

Q.

Comment

Its a big, black mostly non-pretentious piece of kit..its the Xbox for me.

It blends perfectly with my other tv equipment (which appeals massively to me..I like uniformity), doesnt cause storage issues like the top opening NGC and DC and uses Disc media not Carts.

Comment

Nintendo Gamecube

It's a very clever design, it's simple and very neat. A tiny motherboard sits on a the base unit which houses a very neat PSU, a small heatsink sits on the motherboard, the drive unit simply slots downwards, the controller ports clip to the front. It's a very neat and simple design, everything unclips as I said before. This machine is built like the Dreamcast which was my fave design until the Cube came out. Another touch is that Nintendo have put the DAC chip inside the separate D Terminal/Component cable rather than inside the machine itself - not sure if I like this....it should have RGB output as standard.

The worst console of recent times is by far the Xbox - everything inside that machine is just so poorly designed, the machine just seems unprofessional. The PSU is stupidly huge, having the HDD sitting directly on top of something like that is just ridiculous. The shielding on the inside of the machine's casing too is another really stupid touch, they have removed the separate board for the controller ports now (thank god) it just sat there, it wasnt secured at all. Another stupid thing is the videoport that switches mode to cover any different outputs yet does certain ones (ie RGB) really badly - It should have 2 video ports there's more than enough room.

Comment

For looks purely... as I dont like looking inside my consoles

Panasonic Q... or my silver dreamcast -

Comment

Gamecube followed very closely by the GBC (one of the translucent ones).
                  The Xbox is a mighty big and ugly thing, but I have a certain soft spot for it because it...is...just...big and ugly, the type of console you want behind you in a fight . Hefting it unto a tabletop or down from one at a friend's place just makes me grin.
                  I would have chosen the Q over the GC and GBC, but the GC is more portable than the Q and imo not as sexy as a GBC.

Comment

I like the Biohazard DC & think the Gamecube is a dinky dream.

Comment

Lets take another look...

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
                      We have a winner

Comment

I would go with the gamecube if I didn't have such a thing for the US SNES, it was so ugly I loved it...I really want one of these!

Comment

Originally posted by Scythe
                          I would go with the gamecube if I didn't have such a thing for the US SNES, it was so ugly I loved it...I really want one of these!
                          The funniest thing about the US SNES is tha it's got the same motherboard as the JPN/UK model - it doesnt even fit properly into that awful redesigned shell, it's nothing but empty space!

Comment

Hats off to Saurian for being the only one to talk about internal design as well as outer

Comment

The worst console of recent times is by far the Xbox
                              Make that all time.

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree
                                The worst console of recent times is by far the Xbox
                                Make that all time.
                                Nah. The CD32 takes that title.

Comment

Working...
                                X