Blazing Star Retrospective Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blazing Star Retrospective Feature

Please use this thread to discuss any thoughts prompted by the Blazing Star Retrospective.

If you want to leave any feedback, please either PM John Henderson (Kubrick) or email [email protected]

after reading the feature and seeing the screenshots i couldn't resist and fired it up in mame... i don't know how that compares to the neogeo cartridge version but it looked absolutely stunning! i went on credit feeding it to see more of the game.
    if i was into horizontal shmups then i would be all over this but i'm more of a vertical shooter kind of person. regardless it was an interesting experience to see this beauty in action. thanks for bringing this to my attention John and i enjoyed reading your article.

eretsua

Comment

I like Blazing Star rather a lot. It's great how the first level starts off quiet and mysterious then gradually builds up to be all loud and shouty by the end, with Massive Red Walking Tank Thing trashing the place. Difficulty ramps up massively from level 4 onwards, I've got to level 5 on a credit once (difficulty level 4) but that's about it. It's even got a mothership level like R-Type
      Think my MVS cart cost me about 40 quid 4 years ago, still dead happy with it.
      Oh, and the retrospective was nice too, but possibly John could have gone into a little more detail in a review style, mentioning the screen-filling bosses, nice background themes and ace music. Just a couple more paragraphs would have done the trick.
      BEENGO! YAHOU!

Comment

Used to have this on cart and while appreciated the quality, never clicked with me, the colours are decidedly garish like it was designed by acid tinged ex pats in Goa.

I think it was pretty much the colour scheme I didnt like.

Prefer the more considered approach of Pulstar.

Comment

I've never played it although I'd love to, couldn't get it to run in mame, do you need some sort of super computer?

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
            I've never played it although I'd love to, couldn't get it to run in mame, do you need some sort of super computer?

700mhz/128mb ram/32mb gfx is fine for Neo Geo.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
              700mhz/128mb ram/32mb gfx is fine for Neo Geo.
              I've always preferred Neo games on Kawaks or NeoRageX(p)

but Blazing star is a gem of a game - just class and much better than Pulstar

Pulstar seemed like a chore whereas blazing star has always been enjoyable

Comment

Too true, NeorageX was the don, i felt a bit grim when it all switched to Kawaks/Nebula, cant beat those solid scanlines

For sure Kawaks is king now.

Comment

Instead of emulating it, pop down to the arcade in Southampton and play the actual game in the arcade. 20p a go. Lovely game - own it meself too - agreed ity is garish in places, the speech and engrish slogans that pop up everywhere can be annoying, but it is still a brill shooter.

Comment

i own this on mvs and its one of my faves. i like my shmups a bit on the garish side i guess. next to strikers 1945 plus it may be my most played title in my mvs cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                    X