Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf gamers, what are you playing?

Anyone else enjoy computer golf?

Please post what game and on what console (including PC) is currently filling your needs for a virtual good walk spoiled.

I'm playing through Minna no Golf on PSP again and Touch Golf on DS.

Your turn

I still play Links 2004 (Xbox) now and again. God I wish they'd do a new one, I don't really get on that well with the Tiger Woods games

Comment

Originally posted by Baggie
      Anyone else enjoy computer golf?

Please post what game and on what console (including PC) is currently filling your needs for a virtual good walk spoiled.

I'm playing through Minna no Golf on PSP again and Touch Golf on DS.

Your turn
      I also love Minna no Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf, aka Everybody's Golf) on PSP and PS1 (not played it on PS2). I think it strikes such a good balance between being accessible and being deep.

As a video game I feel it finds just the right balance between risk and reward as well. There are plenty of times from the tee when I've gone with the driver, not quite found the sweet spot, to have the ball end up in rough, bunker or water knowing I could have layed up with a three wood and have an easier but longer shot to the green. There's no other golf game, I've played, that does this as well as Minna no Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf, aka Everybody's Golf).

Golf the perfect game when you don't want your reactions or your brain tested too deeply.

Comment

Back playing Links 2004 since it was added to the 360 BC list

Comment

I agree that Links 2004 is the best console golf on offer.
          I need to pick up another copy for 360.
          However, I expect nobody plays it online anymore, so I'll have to get TW07 later this month.

Comment

As an aside, the achievements for Tiger Woods 07 are up:

At first glance, much more realistic than last years broken achievements (I managed 375 out of 960 before giving up). Hopefully these ones will all be attainable.

Comment

i am playing far too much of a flash coded mini golf game embedded in an excel file that got past my companies firwall.

it ain't exactly Tiger 07 or Everybody Golf but I am getting paid for playing it !

Comment

Just holding off, hoping that the new TW is good on the 360.

Comment

Originally posted by burntoutbanger
                  I also love Minna no Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf, aka Everybody's Golf) on PSP and PS1 (not played it on PS2). I think it strikes such a good balance between being accessible and being deep.

As a video game I feel it finds just the right balance between risk and reward as well. There are plenty of times from the tee when I've gone with the driver, not quite found the sweet spot, to have the ball end up in rough, bunker or water knowing I could have layed up with a three wood and have an easier but longer shot to the green. There's no other golf game, I've played, that does this as well as Minna no Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf, aka Everybody's Golf).

Golf the perfect game when you don't want your reactions or your brain tested too deeply.
                  Agree completely. I actually found the PSP game better than Minna no Golf (aka etc) 4 on PS2.

The wind is a killer, isn't it.

Anyone like the Mario Golf game? I could never get into it - breaks between playing made me forget the techniques too quickly, unlike Mario Tennis, which I beat by charging the net.

Comment

I'm also on PSP Everybody's Golf at the moment. It's highly compuslive; prettier than GBA Mario Golf (which is also excellent -I played 40-50 hours of last year until it was pretty much all done). I've also got GC Toadstool Tour largely untouched on the shelf, which is somewhere between the two in terms of gameplay and presentation I suppose.

I was a huge fan of Tiger Woods' 03, 04 & 05. I missed 2006 but plan to get 2007 when I finally get a 360.

Comment

I was on the beta for the online PC game Realms of Pangya for a while and that was absolute class (complete Mina No Golf rip-off though, but in a good way). Look forward to playing it again on the Wii.

I'm plugging through Hot Shots on PSP at the moment... just got my bronze award and I've put countless hours into it. Massive game and a huge improvement over the PS2 version which I didn't get on with at all.

I like the Tiger Woods games, but 2006 bored me after a while... it just felt too similar to 2005, which felt too similar to 2004 etc... I'd love to see the analogue swing on a less serious golf game though, as it really worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
                        I'd love to see the analogue swing on a less serious golf game though, as it really worked well.
                        You could do worse than check out Nettou Golf (JP) for the Dreamcast then. It has that analogue swing system and is in the "fun" mould like Everybody's etc. Not quite on the same level, but hey it's not bad.

I must confess to liking a good golf game. I have done ever since Leaderboard on the C64, which was probably the first one I played. I'm especially partial to the ones that don't take themselves seriously and use a simple 0-100% power bar - Everybody's, Neo Turfmasters, PGA Tour II, Mario etc..

The Tiger Woods games on the Xbox are pretty decent too, so I may well end up getting '07 for the 360 if the demo is convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris
                          I still play Links 2004 (Xbox) now and again. God I wish they'd do a new one, I don't really get on that well with the Tiger Woods games
                          Yeah me too. I'm not sure if I have the time to start a new game on my 360, but I might be doing that at some point. Links 2004 sure still is one of the prettiest Xbox games.

I remember reading about the creator of Links passing away a couple of months ago. I don't know if he had anything to do with the 2004 edition, but it's sad to know he won't be making anything new soon. I wish there would be a sequel announced for 360.

Do you guys use the custom soundtrack option? If so, what music do you listen to while playing Links? I've made a playlist of mostly relaxing electronic stuff like Air (Moon Safari), Boards Of Canada, Nils Petter Molvaer and Radiohead's Kid A stuff. Perfect music for a relaxing game like Links.

edit: oh, and I play Hot Shots on PSP sometimes too. Great game.

Comment

Golf Shiyouyo 1 and 2 on Dreamcast are my faves even now.

Comment

[QUOTE=Xhorder]I wish there would be a sequel announced for 360.[QUOTE]

Not gonna happen - part of the deal MS and EA struck to get Tiger/NHL/Madeen etc onboard was that they'd stop making directly competing titles (i.e Links) - A shame as Tiger is too arcadey.

Comment

Working...
                              X