Gaming Consoles Brought to Tiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Consoles Brought to Tiers

Taking time out from dealing with employment practice scandals, gamings consoles have been placed into tiers from the perspective of a PC gamer

Toward the end of the video the consoles are placed into tiered categories from S-F. But do you agree?

How would you tier the consoles listed in the video above and why?

Here's the tier list, screenshotted. Underneath the 'More Videos' interface element is an 'F'.

Broadly speaking I'd agree with a lot of these selections, particularly putting the PS1, PS2 and the 360 in the 'S' tier.

Comment

Just looking at the PS3 position brought me to tiers

Comment

This is a top notch thread title. Would read again.

Comment

Never thought to do this to be honest, but then I’m not a streamer that needs to make content 🤷‍♂️. Interesting though. The 3ds needs to be in S though, its depth and breadth of games almost rivals the PS2.

Comment

Megadrive, SNES and PC Engine should all be S rank.

Comment

Personally, I would only put two consoles in S-Rank - SNES and Playstation 2. And this is coming from someone who didn't own a SNES in its heyday.

I just feel if you had those consoles and their libraries, there's a lifetime of videogames any one person could play. They each have both a big library and absolute bangers in so many genres.

Comment

I would argue that the 360 deserves to be up there too, because it represented such a quantum leap forward in the overall experience of using a games console.

Comment

One of the key considerations has to be how much a console is weighted by the library of its predecessors given how much porting/remastering/backwards compatibility there is. In theory more modern consoles would leap to the top by essentially being their predecessors but better however if the consideration is more weighted on content and features specific to that consoles generation then the ranking would be shaken up heavily.

Comment

Haven't watched the video, but will admit to being surprised to finding the PS4 up at the top tier. I'd have thought that to a PC person, PS4 is at that kind of point when the lines between PC and console start to blur a bit. I suppose I could always watch the video and listen to what they say in their own words (imagine that!), but I'd also rather not, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I would argue that the 360 deserves to be up there too, because it represented such a quantum leap forward in the overall experience of using a games console.
                      Yeah, it depends heavily on the criteria. Like, I consider the Xbox (original) a really big deal - but without Xbox Live (and, even if it was still running, without people to play with) 90% of that appeal vanishes. The Xbox 360 has a similar issue (though not to the same degree).

If you're thinking about how it felt at the time, primarily, then the 360 should go up there for being the console that finally cracked online gaming.

Comment

PS5 is a great example of the conundrum. It's graded A but it literally is a more powerful PS4, the share the same library but the PS5 will still get new games added to that line up whereas PS4 is at the end of that cycle so the PS5 should be in S tier by default and the PS4 demoted as a result as it's less of the same. But doing that cold logic is clearly not how the table above was decided which is why PS4 is higher, so then you factor in other considerations such as the appeal and life with the system at the time that it was out and the weight of its own contributions... but then the placing becomes questionable again because they are having an absolutely ****ing laugh if the PS5 is A tier on that front given how paltry its own offerings have been to date. It could earn it's way up the chart as it's still got half a life span to go but... no.

Comment

Not sure how this isn't a completely subjective list.

My favourite consoles have been the Mega Drive, PS1, PS2, Xbox 360 and PS4.
                          That doesn't mean other people haven't had fun on other systems.

Comment

For myself, I'll build it bit by bit but out of the gate:

F Tier - I'm fine with all the placements on that table

Comment

hottake, Switch swaps with the dreamcast.

not worth reading moves i would make

PS3 moved to C
                              PS4 to A
                              Master System to B
                              WiiU, Xbone and 2600 to F
                              Saturn to B
                              delete PS5/XSX/XSS as they are just PCs now.

Comment

Working...
                              X