No announcement yet.

Gaming Consoles Brought to Tiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not familiar enough with most of the D tier to really class them any differently than the machines in the F tier but the first notable one that stands out to me from that line up the 3DO. It's a very flawed console but I'd be tempted to nudge it up one class potentially on the basis that its library did contain several decent games that would later get better appreciation on PS1. It's flaws keep it from moving any further up the chain. Likewise I'd take the Neo Geo down a category. I know SNK enthusiasts love it but it isn't on the basis of being a great console, fans loved it because it meant they could literally play the super expensive arcade releases in their home which ironically the console wasn't even originally intended to be used for. If you had money it was a method of playing their games but you could argue the same about buying the arcade unit too.

S: PlayStation, SNES, PlayStation 2
    A: Saturn, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 3, Switch, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4
    B: Xbox One, NES, WiiU, Series S/X,GameCube, Wii, Mega Drive, Xbox, PlayStation 5
    C: Master System, TurboGraphx, Neo Geo, Atari 2600, 3DO,
    D: Color TV, Pong, SG-1000, Channel F, Odyssey 2, PC-FX, Pong, Atari 7800, Odyssey, Intellivision, Colecovision
    F: Atari 5200, Atari Jaguar, Phillips CDi, Amiga CD-32

It's not final yet, I'm very much still stewing on the mid-section

Comment

What was the Neo Geo originally intended to be used for? I had the impression that SNK's idea was always to basically rerelease their MVS carts for the home? Neon Ignition

Comment

Apparently it was originally intended as a rental unit for businesses in Japan but they changed tact when they picked on fans saying they were willing to shell out for one

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Apparently it was originally intended as a rental unit for businesses in Japan but they changed tact when they picked on fans saying they were willing to shell out for one
          That was my understanding too.

Comment

The real question on everyone's lips: where's the CPS Changer in this list?

Comment

S+ tier, naturally. Probably not included because it goes without saying.

Neon Ignition Asura that is so interesting, I didn’t know that!

Comment

Some ridiculous grading in there. Most of the D's should be F's. Saturn getting lumped in with some of the C's is laughable. Dreamcast should be higher. From a personal viewpoint there are two I'd have near the top that aren't , but that's just bias on my part, I doubt I need to say which two.

Comment

Why are the N64(!?), GameCube, and Dreamcast lumped with the Series consoles and Atari 2600?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    Why are the N64(!?), GameCube, and Dreamcast lumped with the Series consoles and Atari 2600?
                    coz this list a load of old arse

Comment

The N64 is an awkward one, it has a lot of great games but at the time it was abit like pulling teeth to live with as a system. Series S/X and PS5 are too far up, they're good in some senses but barely exist as their own thing still to this day rather than just Pro versions of their predecessors.

Comment

It's all subjective of course and these lists are always going to inspire arguments but... What a **** list. Particularly grouping the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 with the Xbox Series S.

But it served its purpose, 1.1 Million YouTube views in 2 days. Bravo to that ****!

Comment

Why is PS4 so high, never even played one maybe I'm missing out, seems a bland system from a distance?

One thing for sure, Jaguar has better games than PC -FX.

Comment

PS4 was decent but I suspect there's an element of not wanting to fight its popularity. Despite its early days I thought higher of the PS3 in its lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Why is PS4 so high, never even played one maybe I'm missing out, seems a bland system from a distance?
                              I borrowed one for Bloodborne. That was my mileage​ with the system. I have no interest in narrative-driven cinematic third-person affairs, so all that seemed to be left outside of that was the Johnny Mainstream stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                What was the Neo Geo originally intended to be used for?
                                For sublime greatness.

Comment

Working...
                                X