No announcement yet.

Strange gaming rituals you have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never quite understood what sound tests are all about. For what purpose were they originally included, does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Just talking about Mega Drive sound tests makes me hear in my head "CHING. WoooOOP. Kershaaah. Ting. BuRBLE. Woweraaaah."
      We should book you in for a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        I go into the options menu and invert vertical aiming

Not strange per se, but close enough that it's 2024 and I still have to do the superior setting myself rather than it be the default!
        I always do this too. I simply can't aim properly with un-inverted controls! I thought one of the touted features of Xbox (from 360 era maybe?) was that preferences like inverting controls would be remembered and automatically applied to games- did it ever actually happen?

edit: just noticed Wakka mentioned it and games did use it. I just don't remember. My addled brain probably.

Anyway, and I'll say this quietly - don't want too many people hearing - but I suppose the one weird thing I always did with new games was take the manual out and sniff it before doing anything else. Japanese games always smelled best, obvs. But really, clearly the paper stock and ink were different because the smell was very distinctive. I mainly buy digital these days and games don't have manuals now anyway, so I don't do it anymore. So yeah, that.
        Last edited by endo; 10-05-2024, 20:03.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          Most of the time I wear clothes...
          Lol,.πŸ˜… Real men let it all hang loose. That way you're guaranteed not to be bothered as no one wants to see the dangling gooseberries πŸ˜‚

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I have never quite understood what sound tests are all about. For what purpose were they originally included, does anyone know?
            They're there for those who have a fettish with electronic sound. Or at least in the beginning.
            I'm talking about the sound effects section by the way.
            The music section is simply because many games have great tunes that people want to experience without soundeffects over them.

Comment

Those piercing FM synthesized sound effects tho. Some of them would resemble a gulping noise followed by high pitch shrill that would have a quick bit of a boing-ing tail with generous serving of noise (resembling the waves sound found in Outrun). You know the sound effect I'm talking about.

Comment

For some reason, before I start a game for the first time and I'm checking out the box/blurb 'n' stuff, I absolutely have to make sure the cover sleeve is properly aligned within the transparent plastic covering. if it's sticking out in any way, a bit up or down, or bit wonky - it's got to be set right. This may take several minutes of realigning and testing by opening and closing the box to make sure it stays in place.

Comment

Is this real information, Golgo? If it is, I love it. I love you all and all your rituals.

Except for the inverted party.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    Is this real information, Golgo? If it is, I love it. I love you all and all your rituals.

Except for the inverted party.
                    Unfortunately it is. It's quite tragic. Only for the first play, mind. After that I don't mind if the sleeve goes skew-whiff.

Comment

I always thought the sound test was from the arcade days, to literally do what it says and test the sounds to make sure none of the chips have gone bad.

Anyway, options, invert, video, graphics and audio settings and look at the other control options before I actually play.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post

Lol,.πŸ˜… Real men let it all hang loose. That way you're guaranteed not to be bothered as no one wants to see the dangling gooseberries πŸ˜‚
                        Is there a special censored version of Retro Core I am not aware of?! πŸ˜‰

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                          For some reason, before I start a game for the first time and I'm checking out the box/blurb 'n' stuff, I absolutely have to make sure the cover sleeve is properly aligned within the transparent plastic covering. if it's sticking out in any way, a bit up or down, or bit wonky - it's got to be set right. This may take several minutes of realigning and testing by opening and closing the box to make sure it stays in place.
                          It annoys me when the spine cannot be centred. Unfortunately some will never centre, I don’t know if it’s down to the plastic moulding or the actual cover art being cut wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post

Is there a special censored version of Retro Core I am not aware of?! πŸ˜‰
                            Lol, only for patrons who donate 50,000 quid πŸ˜…

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post

Lol, only for patrons who donate 50,000 quid πŸ˜…
                              egparadigm I'm willing to put up 25k if you're good to put in the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

egparadigm I'm willing to put up 25k if you're good to put in the rest?
                                Β£50,000 is a bit steep. How about Β₯50,000 Yakumo?

Comment

Working...
                                X