Bonk doesn't get enough respect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonk doesn't get enough respect!

Does anyone else like Bonk, or PC Kid or PC Genjin depending on which version you had. I remember playing this on the handheld PC Engine all those years ago and i often wondered why it was never more popular (although partly i guess due to the PC Engine's popularity).

I have just been playing through all the PC Engine versions again, plus Super Bonk on the SNES. All the games have great graphics (checkout the size of the sprites on the PCE versions!), wonderful music and some great gameplay. You had some crazy level designs (getting snorted through straws, massive dinosaurs that hug you etc) and loads of different 'power ups'.

Here we have Tiny Bonk:

And normal Bonk:

And Giant Bonk:

And Anrgy mean type Bonk:

Enough crazyness for everyone

Red also did a couple of great shooters, Gates of Thuunder and Lords of Thunder i think. Were they an internal Hudson Soft devco? I wonder what they do now..

I agree

I have all the Bonk games that I think are available on PCE, including the cd and Hu versions of Air Zonk and they are all class, second only to the Mario series as platformers and the shooter is cool too.

Probably not so popular since the Engine never really took off now.

We NEED a Gamecube version

Comment

I only had the Amiga version which was renamed BC Kid. It was one of my favourite platformers back then. I'd love to see a new PC Kid game on GBA

It also had a 50/60 Hz select (as did Dynablaster AKA Bomberman) - something which some of today's companies still haven't fully adopted 10 years later

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
        Red also did a couple of great shooters, Gates of Thuunder and Lords of Thunder i think. Were they an internal Hudson Soft devco? I wonder what they do now..
        Thanks for telling me about Super Bonk, which I didn't know existed. Out of interest what console were those shooters you talk of released on - PC Engine?
        I could be wrong but I think Red went on to create Thousand Arms (RPG on Playstation) and Gungrave on the PS2.

Comment

Gates of Thunder/Lords of Thunder are PC Engine CD games. I cant remember if there were HuCard versions as well. Red also did a load of PCE RPGs but they were in Japanese only, hmm i think they were called East of Eden or something like that.

Interestingly the Amiga version of BC Kid was programmed by Factor 5. You used to be able to download the ADF image from their website, but for some reason the links are still there but they're dead.

The SNES Super Bonk is pretty damn good actually. Loads of crazy obstacles and scenery and the levels are almost as big as the sprites

Comment

I loved the original PC Kid - one of my favourite PC Engine games. Exellent control - maybe a tad slow but absolutely huge (and quite humorous!). I think things went a bit downhill with 2 + 3. I wasn't all that keen on the SNES version either.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
              Probably not so popular since the Engine never really took off now.
              Really? I though the PC Engine was huge in the 80s. Over 700 games...

I might be wrong though...

Comment

Working...
              X