No announcement yet.

Help - Game development costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have thought that this information HAS to be recorded either internally or externally for legal reasons. Depending on the dev. Finding it could be tricky but the costs can also be added up in millions of ways. Eg, is the budget for Mario 64 gonna be affected by the fact it helped shape the hardware? Didn't Gears of War do that too? Every product will have millions of costs but it will get included or excluded when the publisher wants to. There was some editorial and marketing gained from saying Shenmue was VERY expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by saif
      I would have thought that this information HAS to be recorded either internally or externally for legal reasons.
      It will be recorded somwhere, otherwise they don't know if they are making a profit!

Comment

It is very difficult to calculate the cost of a game vs say the cost of a film as that has a clear start and finish to the project. You would have to work in the cost of developing tech (like an engine) and this would tend to be amortised as in any other business. Any public gave dev should publish it's p&l so should be easy to find although that will not give you costs of games as such. Assets such as computers would again be balanced against the overall liablilities so would be tough to break out certain costs.

I'll ask my solicitor other half, she'd know more about these things....

Comment

Working...
        X