Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance disc padded ?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/re...bage/#comments

How long untill we see dvd's used for games like cd's on the PS2?

The thread has been locked and the final game size is 17 gigs...
    Which was stated by Ted from Insomniac on his blog...

Comment

Fair enough

Comment

Originally posted by jide
        The thread has been locked and the final game size is 17 gigs...
        Which was stated by Ted from Insomniac on his blog...
        They also said it was over 20GBs and growing though, so who knows?

Comment

isn't the padding just like a data file which does not need to be there, like a great big irrelivant file thats put there to make it look like its got 25gig's worth of stuff.

thats what i got from this

Comment

They did that with PSP games - I presumed that was to prohibit/stall dirty pirates though - Was the car game not too disimilar to Stunt car Racer - actual game footprint was about 80mb but there was a dirty big f-all file that took up about 800mb !

Comment

Tecmo did that with DOA:XBV as well: I think the actual game only takes up 800mb of 4gb filesize. That was definitely to try and put off pirates, though, and not for optimum disc reading.

Comment

I do wonder though even if its not padding

if its just uncompressed data if so could they get it on a regular dvd with a lot of effort

Comment

a 17GB files isn't gonna spread around to net as quick as a 5 gigabyte one.

Comment

i hate reading that kinda stuff, mainly because i always traipse into the comments section and even though most of the people on there can barely spell or type absolutely stupid things like 'lol sony you retards lololol', i still only realise once i've read about 20 silly comments

about blu-ray having a constant read speed:
                    does that just mean the drive slows down the rotation speed when reading at the edge of the disc?
                    wouldn't it be better to spin it at the fastest angular speed you can and then you'd get a higher read-speed at the edges instead of handicapping that part of the disc just for consistency when reading from the inside?
                    i'd imagine for games at least it would be ideal as you'd squeeze every last MB/s you can out of it

Comment

BluRay's constant linear velocity, isn't it? Which means, yes, the rotational velocity is different depending on which sector of the disc is being read.

Comment

Originally posted by IanE
                        They also said it was over 20GBs and growing though, so who knows?
                        I can explain this. During development it was about 22ish gb, but nearing the end, they discovered that they could use the NTSC movies and ditch the PAL (so instead of having both PAL and NTSC, they put some coding into it just got one working for both regions) this itself cut the game down to about 16gb.

So far, it seems like theres about 420mb of padding per region.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                          BluRay's constant linear velocity, isn't it? Which means, yes, the rotational velocity is different depending on which sector of the disc is being read.
                          yeah they said that, didn't they. what i'm wondering is what on earth for?

also, what's this 'region' talk? are blu ray discs divided up funkily?

Comment

They just mean geographic regions. Not disc sectors or anything like that.

Comment

duh

Comment

Working...
                              X