Advance Wars 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance Wars 2

Been playing AW2 solidly for a few days and I must say I'm really impressed with it. Anybody else have it?

I thought it started a little easily, I was able to get "S" rank on the first 10 missions without much effort without really having to do too much to acheive them. It does get progessively harder and I'm starting to have to really employ some tactics to beat the CO's.

Essentially it's just another load more levels for the original GBA game but it chucks in several new elements that I like. There are several levels that are now time based where if you don't acheive your object within a set amount of days then you fail, usually because the enemy has been able to develop a huge missile silo that just blows everything to ****. There are also single rocket "spots" that when a soldier stands on it enables him to launch a rocket to any point on the screen that is fairly powerful and crucially has a blast radius of about 6 squares on the grid. They can only be used once though.

I think it's posibly better than the original although its a little hard to know for certain at the moment.
    Anybody else enjoying it?

I'm playing through it right now thanks to G-Funk of these forums.

Yeah - I was surprised at the inclusion of time limits. They really have you sweating, especially when you think you're doing well. I hate having to resort to time-wasting, desperation tactics that you know won't work, and then don't. Grrr.

Although, I could complain about the lack of new updates. But the original was so great that it had everything you could ever want anyway (apart from missiles, I like missiles!) - I honestly don't know how they could have added more to this game that wasn't already used on AW1.

A pretty pointless sequel IMO - but still very good fun and up there on par with its predecessor, it's great to see the same characters back as well - I only wish they'd remixed the music or something.

Comment

I've been playing it all evening, and loving it I'm actually quite glad they didn't mess with the formula too much, in a way, because they may have broken the perfect balance the game has in the process.

Apart from CM4 (and its unintentional sub-game, Spot The Bug), AW2 is keeping me from playing anything else at the moment

Comment

Right... I've been playing a mission here, mission there so far (as VJoe and Wario World have been taking more time) and I'm on the last one for Orange. Any tips? I just seem to get overwhelmed by numbers by about day 15 and can't hold a thing. I've been concentrating on trying to secure the base and then the airport but it's always been a big struggle...
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by spoiler
          The one where you have to destroy the connection in the pipe? I did it by rushing to the airport, then clinging on for dear life till I could afford a bomber. The bomber can hit the pipe in one go from the airport, and it only takes one hit to destroy it. And then the enemy give up!

Comment

Right, I'll give it a go. Infantry and APCs at the ready

Comment

I can confirm that EvilMatt's method works.
              However, I'm sure there must be a more dignified way of winning, but for now, I'm sure you're just glad to see the back of that level. I know it bugged me for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
                APC luring doesn't seem to work much in AW2. Improvement?.

Comment

Gotten to the first Fog of War level. God I hate Fow.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyMonster
                    Originally posted by Mayhem
                    APC luring doesn't seem to work much in AW2. Improvement?.
                    Yes, though the enemy will still go after them if they are vunerable. I meant use APCs in the sense of getting my guys to the bits that need conquering as quickly as possible here though

Comment

Originally posted by davidcotton
                      Gotten to the first Fog of War level. God I hate Fow.
                      I used to be like that but there is a level that....

Originally posted by spoiler

...Is probably the best I've played so far and it all revolves around FOW. What you have to do is basically get a unit from the bottom of the screen to the very top of the screen to your own base. There are huge cannons around that will demolish a unit if it see's you (it can hit any square on the grid) and the level revolves around hiding in the woods shrouded by the cloud to stay alive. Its such a diversion from the normal levels that I really enjoyed it yet it wouldn't be possible without the fog.
                      Don't know if you've done it yet but like I say its very cool.

Comment

great game but I am finding it quite tough in places

done all of nells lot and about half of olafs lot

may be back for advice soon

Comment

All the levels currently open to me are of 4-star difficulty.

They're still pretty easy though, I'm sailing through. I hope they get harder, and I certainly hope the game's going to be a lot longer than what I'm currently expecting!

Comment

Working...
                          X