Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about Dai Senryaku VII / Munch's Oddysee / Armed & Dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about Dai Senryaku VII / Munch's Oddysee / Armed & Dangerous?

Now the XBOX is almost dead, I'm looking for some old and forgotten games with hindsight. I don't really need game recomendations, I've read a lot of threads about good xbox games and I got a pretty decent cataloge.

-Dai Senryaku VII (NTSC JP & US only). The Dai Senryaku saga is quite unknown. Military strategy made in Japan for consoles only. It's like a complex board game, with lots of units, info and statistics. Never played it. It could be a good and original game or just tedious and boring.
    Reviews: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/583046.asp

-I really liked the two first Oddworld games for PSX. I also got Stranger's Wrath (ace FPS). Is Munch's Oddysee a good game? I played a demo years ago and the game didn't feel the same, the movements and jumps were too quick. I thought it became just another dull 3D plataformer, and puzzle solving was not as fun as in the 2D games. There's a review in NTSC-UK but I haven't seen any threads about the game.

What about Armed and Dangerous? It seems a like an original and fun Lucasarts game. But i've read that it's a little dull 3rd person shooter. Is it better than Metal Arms? It also got some bad criticism, but I found it to be really good.

Didn't really get on with Munch but many peeps liked it.

Armed and Dangerous is really good, i enjoyed it alot. As a game it's not as good as Glitch but the comedy cut-scenes actually make up for it. Well worth picking up cheaply.

Comment

Dai Senryaku VII (NTSC JP & US only). The Dai Senryaku saga is quite unknown. Military strategy made in Japan for consoles only. It's like a complex board game, with lots of units, info and statistics. Never played it. It could be a good and original game or just tedious and boring.
      Brilliant game if you like the old hex-board turn based wargames ...

Comment

Armed and Dangerous is shallow. Dangerously so. Even at the time it was a little low on depth, by today's standards it's like a puddle in the middle of a Saharan summer, after a herd of thirsty hippos had wandered past. But, as others have said the cut scenes are funny. Not videogames funny, but genuinely funny.

The Oddworld game that isn't Strangers Wrath is OK. But personally I could hardly be bothered even playing it at the time, and we're now in a Post Wii/Gears of War era, so you've got to ask all the things you could be doing in your gaming life rather than playing it. It's also not funny. It thinks it is, but it's videogames funny. In other words it isn't funny in any way.

Comment

I enjoyed Munch's Oddysee, and it's worth playing, but it never quite compared to the 2D Abe games on PS1 (but I don't think Stranger's Wrath does, too, in fact less so...)

Armed And Dangerous seemed quite interesting but the frame rate and dodgy graphics put me off but I also had OutRun2 that Xmas, so what could I do?...

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
            Brilliant game if you like the old hex-board turn based wargames ...
            But I'd like to know if it's fun or tedious when played in a console. Have you played it?

Comment

Daisenrakyu is one of the longest running pure War sim turn based strategies on the Japanese market. Unfortunately I've only ever played the earlier ones. You either like them or you don't, but its a very pure simulation type game and is quite well respected if you like that kind of thing.

It often gets dubbed as the thinking mans Famicom/Advance Wars. If you like menus, loads of simulation with tonnes of troop management and some strategy thrown in then give it a go. If you don't like War sims or turn based games steer clear. I couldn't tell you about the Xbox version though because it may have gone all real time simulation these days, but I've no doubt it will definitely be very menu orientated.
              Last edited by AdamJW; 21-12-2006, 15:21.

Comment

Working...
              X